A heist

Chapter 6

"How's the leg?" Dream asked, walking back into the cave holding a pile of sticks for fires.

"Getting a little better I hope. I have no clue what kind of recovery time I should be expecting." George said, putting down the branch he was carving.

"What's that for?" Dream asked, gesturing to the branch. George picked it up, showing the unnatural shape he had curved it in to.

"I'm making a bow again. I used to have one."

"How do you know how to do that?"

"My Dad taught me when I was a kid. For fun. Came in handy I suppose. Got twine from the raid, just need to find some sticks, stones and feathers for arrows." George said.

"How many?" Dream asked.

"As many as possible. I've lost so many arrows because retrieving them from zombies isn't always possible."

"Arrows aren't lethal are they? To the zombies?" Dream asked, raising an eyebrow and looking at the piece of wood.

"If they slice through the neck they can incapacitate it for at least a minute." George shrugged. "Enough time to get away."

"You're good at aiming?"

"I wouldn't waste my time making this if I wasn't. I can throw my dagger accurately, but only one isn't enough, and I can't throw it as far as I can launch an arrow." George explained.

"Fair enough. If I see any good sticks or bird feathers I'll get them for you." Dream offered. George narrowed his eyes at him.

"Why would you do that?"

"Well, I'm not going to go out of my way for you." Dream scoffed, fiddling with the hilt of his sword. "But obviously you need a better weapon than a dagger. Can't spend all my time defending you, you having a weapon is beneficial for me."

"Right. Well..." George looked the boy up and down. "Thanks."

"You're welcome." Dream sat down and pulled one of the backpacks towards him. "Anyways. Sapnap and I spent our time identifying all the traps they've set. It seems like their territory is only east of here. I took Sapnap closer to the base, he's still there now scouting it out. Seeing what the humans are doing, and their routines, sizing them up, you know."

"He's there by himself?" George asked.

"He's fine, well hidden. If he's not back in an hour I'll assume he's caught in a trap. They've got some nasty ones." Dream pulled out the map booklet they grabbed from the store and opened it up, examined where they were.

"Like what?"

"More snares like I was in. Net traps. Some tripwires that we don't know what they activate, my guess is maybe some arrows. Maybe it's just to alert the humans of approaching zombies. I couldn't tell you. Some foothold traps too, but the traps are all clearly for zombies, not for people. They won't be expecting intellect, they are expecting violence. Stealing should be easy, but we will wait to see what Sapnap finds out."

George found it weird they were referring to the group as humans, like another species and not the same as them. But spending so much time around zombies, human seems necessary to differentiate them.

"And when are you planning on going?" George asked.

"Well, it's been a few days since I found them. Sapnap's got no concussion symptoms anymore, and his head wound is basically fine. My cuts are all healing quick." George noticed the bruises though. "It's just your fucked leg."