Haven

The Epilogue

Sapnap ran through the halls, nearly skidding as he went around the corners too fast. He was panting as he sprinted, only one thought on his mind.

People moved out of the way when the saw him running, staring at him in confusion as he dashed through the building. Sapnap didn't pay them any attention, he didn't even have the breath to apologise to that one woman he nearly knocked over.

He skidded into the briefing room, half colliding with the doorway as he entered, and finally stopped, panting as he caught his breath, cheeks red and muscles screaming.

"Me." He breathed out, looking up at the small room of people, all sitting down in a meeting with Karl and Velvet standing in front of them, both looking at him in shock.

"Sapnap, what-" Karl started to speak.

"Me. I'll go. Please, I'm desperate." Sapnap stood up straight, hands on his head as he tried to get rid of a stitch under his rib.

"Sap, you aren't on the list." Karl said gently, walking around the small group to go closer to him.

"What's one more person? Please, I'm so bored. There's nothing to do here. I'm itching for an adventure."

"It's dangerous." Karl said, looking at him with concern. "It's not just a simple mission to clear the city."

"I am going crazy in here. Send me. Please."

"We could use him." Velvet said, raising an eyebrow at Karl. "We do need a couple more people for this mission."

"No. He's fine." Karl grabbed Sapnap's arm and tried to tug him out of the room. "Sap, this isn't your mission."

"Karl, I'm so bored. And I'm not useless. I'm a damn good fighter, and I am way too stubborn to die." Sapnap looked him in the eye. "I don't know why you don't trust me on any of these missions."

Karl looked down, and Sapnap took his hand, giving it a squeeze.

"I only just got you back." Karl said softly. Sapnap gently tugged on his hand and took him out of the room, away from listening ears.

"It's been 3 months." Sapnap rubbed his thumb over his hand once they were standing out of the room. "I've recovered. I'm here. And I have no intention on leaving you. Ever."

"Then don't do this mission, please." Karl begged.

"You're doing it." Sapnap frowned.

"That's different."

"How? I obviously don't want you to go risk your life either. I couldn't bare losing you too." Sapnap furrowed his eyebrows.

"The difference is it's you." Karl pleaded. "I can't lose you."

"Karl." Sapnap brought his hand up to his mouth and kissed it, pressing a small smile against it. "I love you. But you're being a hypocrite."

"But if something happened-"

"Do you think I'd cope if it was you?" Sapnap asked, lowering his hand. "I love you just as much as you do me. I'd spiral just as bad if it was you who got hurt. Can you not see that?"

"I know." Karl whispered, and Sapnap tugged him into a hug, hooking his chin over Karl's shoulder.

"If we both go, we can look after each other. That sounds fair, doesn't it?"

"What if-"

"No. None of that. You need to put a bit of trust in me I can handle myself. Just like the trust I put in you to come back to me every time you disappear on a mission."