We can rest soon

Chapter 13

The boy was pacing in the hallway, a hand on his face, debating what to do. Should he tell him what he did? Should he wait until the group came back?

"Quackity?" Karl poked his head out from around the door, eyebrows furrowed. "I could hear you pacing, what is it?"

"Um." Quackity tugged at his beanie as if it were his hair. "I need to tell you something."

"Yeah? Do you want to come in?" Karl offered, opening the door wider. Quackity nodded and entered the room, beginning to pace again. Karl's room was not flashy. There was hardly any decorations. Not that there was much option for shopping in an apocalypse. Karl's bed was unmade like he'd just been sleeping in it.

The only interesting thing in the room, was a single photograph in a frame on a stool by the bed.

"Why don't you sit?" Karl offered the bed.

"No. But you might want to." Quackity said. Karl looked at him curiously, but sat down on his bed.

"Q, what is it? What's happened? Have we lost someone? Is it Tina? She usually visits me every couple days but it's been a while. She got bitten didn't she." Karl looked panicked.

"No! No." Quackity stopped him. "Tina's fine. Well... I guess I don't really know if she is."

"Quackity." Karl's eyes widened. "What happened?"

"Look, you've been really really down recently. I'm just really worried so I thought maybe I could just help a bit." Quackity said, pulling off his beanie completely and holding it in front of him, fiddling with it.

"You can't help with this." Karl whispered.

"It's about him. How you don't know what happened. You got given hope when that random lady told you something and now you haven't left your room."

"She said the sword was taken from the house." Karl said softly, eyes beginning to glisten. "He could have gotten out. But I'll never know. That's the worst part.

"I know." Quackity swallowed. "I thought maybe I could try and bring you closure. That lady wanted it too."

"Closure? You... what did you do?"

"I sent a mission to Orlando. With the address and a copy of that photo. To see if they could find him anywhere." Quackity nodded at the picture frame. The picture that Karl had only shown to him out of trust.

"You..." Karl just started at him, breathing heavily. "Who'd you send?"

"Tina, Foolish, Punz, Skeppy." Quackity mumbled.

"All of them?" Karl gasped out, hands grabbing the blanket.

"It was just to see if they could find anything. They'll be back soon. They took the car."

"Our one car?!" Karl stood up, and began pacing himself now. "Quackity what-"

"I just thought-"

"You sent four people to Orlando to search for a boy who is more than likely dead!" Karl shouted. "He is gone. He is lost. There is no point. I will never see him again. You have wasted a pointless mission looking for a ghost. You put four of our vital team, our friends in danger for what? Because I'm a little sad? Guess what, Quackity! We're in an apocalypse! Everyone we know and love is dead! Everyone is sad!" He furiously wiped his eyes.

"Karl-"

"Get out. And tell me the second they get back. Don't come see between now and then." Karl said pointing at the door with a shaky hand.