You need to learn to trust

Chapter 7

"You can sleep, George. It's ok." Dream said gently, as he re-bandaged his leg. George shook his head.

"I can't, it hurts when you do that." George let his head fall against the floor.

"Well you're probably going to be awake for a bit longer because I'm going to get those thorns out of you." Sapnap said, sitting down beside George holding some tweezers from the first aid kit. He grabbed George's arm, twisting it to see some thorns digging into his arm with dried beads of blood around them.

"What happened, George?" Dream asked.

"They saw me. After I helped Sapnap escape. One of them tried to climb the tree while the other went to fetch a bow and arrows. I ended up dropping a branch on that guys head..."

George forgot about him.

"Did he die?" Dream asked, still bandaging carefully.

"I don't..." George swallowed. "I don't know. Ouch." He hissed when Sapnap pulled a thorn.

"Then what happened?"

"I was chased for a while, and hid in a bush. I had to stay there for ages. Hours, I guess. They kept leaving and coming back and I didn't know when. They were setting up more traps around the area. Eventually I walked back, got my dagger, and tried to find the cave."

"And got caught in a foothold trap." Sapnap said with a scoff, pulling out a thorn

"It was dark."

"He was excited to see me." Dream grinned, and tore the end of the bandage with his teeth before tying it against his leg.

"No I wasn't." George grumbled. "Ow."

"Stop flinching and it'll hurt less." Sapnap scolded him, plucking out another thorn and making George hiss.

"We need to move in the morning. The humans were mad and I bet they'll try to find us. We should keep going, hope they don't follow." Dream said.

"How's his leg?" Sapnap asked, tugging another thorn and making George wince.

"Not the best, but not as bad as it could be. Just a bit of a tear, and it's inflamed but I think it could go back to how it was this morning in a day or two. After that, I think the stitches could come out a week later."

"How do we get the stitches out?" George asked groggily.

"We'll get to that when we need to. You just go to sleep, George." Sapnap said.

"I can't while you do that." George had his face scrunched up in pain.

George did manage to fall asleep before Sapnap had finished. It happened when he asked George to lie on his stomach to check any thorns on the back of his clothing and neck.

"How will we move tomorrow if his leg still isn't great?" Sapnap asked.

"Slowly. And in the north-west direction, I figured out where we are on the map a few days ago. The humans are east from here and we need to keep our distance. I'll find a new cane for George in the morning." Dream said. Sapnap looked at him.

"You've seemed to have changed your mind about him pretty quick in the last few days."

"Well, like you said. If we want to survive and get to the Haven, we need each other." Dream shrugged.

"That's why you carried him like a bride back?" Sapnap snorted.

"He couldn't walk." Dream sent him a glare.

"Just admit you care a bit about George." Sapnap said.

"I don't, he's some random stranger. I care about getting to the Haven." Dream said, shuffling away so he was closer to the entrance. "I'll take first watch."