Chapter 2

"OH DEAREST JOHN, DEAR MARY WHAT A JOURNEY I HAD"Aunt Milicent said to both the Darling parents as they greeted her by the door.

As aunt Milicent continued babbling about her journey upstairs Ella was trying to get Michael to take his bath. Something she found herself hard to accomplish.

Nana got the handle of it though. And by the means of that, nana chased around the house the youngest Darling boy trying to get him in the bath, thing she actually did.

"Not fair!" Michael said to Nana.

Ella laughed and went inside her bedroom to get ready for what's coming next.

Not fair, indeed. But Nana was the finest nurse on four paws.

There never was a happier, simpler family. Mr. Darling was a banker who knew the cost of everything, even a hug. Mrs. Darling was the loveliest lady in Bloomsbury, with a sweet, mocking mouth, that had one kiss on it...that Wendy and Ella could never get.

Though there it was, perfectly conspicuous, on the right-hand corner.

And sometimes there was Aunt Millicent who felt a dog for a nurse lowered the whole tone of the neighborhood.

"All right, all right, less noise. Let's settle down" Mr Darling tried to convince his 4 children.

"Ella's turn!" The one brother said. Excitement filled his voice.

"Ella must tell a story" Wendy continued smiling excitedly.

"Cecco, who carved his name on the governor at Goa!" John said with confidence.

"Noodler, with his hands on backwards!" Michael said.

"Heavens" Aunt Milicent exclaimed with heavy sigh.

"Hook!" Both brothers said.

"Hook?!" Aunt Milicent said with shock.

"Hook, whose eyes turn red as he guts you!" John added.

"Upon my soul, how children are educated nowadays" said Aunt Milicent.

"I'm afraid I am not learned at all Aunt, but I do know a thing or two about pirates!" Ella said excited as she stood in front of her family ready as ever.

"Ooh" Aunt Milicent said not very impressed.

"My unfulfilled ambition is to write a great novel in three parts about my adventures." Ella continued..

"What adventures?" Aunt Milicent asked curiously.

"I've yet to have them, but they will be perfectly thrilling." Ella finished.

"But, child, novelists are not highly thought of in good society. And there is nothing so difficult to marry as a novelist" Aunt Milicent said and everyone around her went silent.

" Marry?" George and Mary asked slightly shocked.

"Marry?" Ella and Wendy questioned at the same time.

"Marry?" The brothers said and looked at each other.

"But, Aunt, Ella is not yet 13" Mary tried to civilised with her.

"Walk toward me, dear, that I may appraise you" Aunt said to Ella.

Ella stared at her like she has two heads.

"Go on" Her father stated.

Ella made her way to her Aunt, trying to hold her laugh, wendy and her brothers doing the same.

"Stand up straight"

"Stop it" Mr Darling said to his children who were sitting and observing the whole situation and couldn't stop their small chuckled escaping.

"Turn around," Aunt Milicent continued.

"Mm, yes. Oh, it's quite as I expected" Aunt said satisfied.

"Ella possesses a woman's chin" she added.

Ella had a shocker expression on her face and grabbed her chin. What does that mean?

"Have you not noticed?" Stating the obvious.

"Observe her mouth" she said. Everyone looked at her direction. She couldn't take all the stares and she turned her head lightly down.

"There, hidden in the right-hand corner is that a kiss?" Aunt asked. Everyone turned towards the Darling girl and observed carefully her mouth.

"A kiss?" Ella asked.

"Like Mother's kiss" wendy whispered.

"A hidden kiss" Aunt Milicent said to Ella.

"But what is it for?" Ella asked wanting to find out more. Aunt Milicent stood up and walked towards the younger Darling.

"It is for the greatest adventure of all. They that find it have slipped in and out of heaven"

"Find what?" Wendy asked quickly, curiosity bubbling inside her.

"The one the kiss belongs to" Aunt finished.

"My Ella a woman" Mr Darling exclaimed

"Almost a woman" Aunt said.

"She must spend less time with her brothers
and more time with me" Aunt Milicent said to the parents.

"She must have her own room. A young lady's room." She added.

"Leave the..." Michael tried to said but John didn't let him.

"George, the daughter of a clerk cannot hope to marry as well as that of a manager. You must attend more parties, make small talk with your superiors at the bank" Aunt said.

"Wit is very fashionable at the moment" she said and gulped her drink down.

"Wit" George said.