Chapter 4

"I HAVE BEEN HUMILIATED" Mr Darling shouted, his voice booming loudly throughout the whole house.

"I must become a man that children fear and adults respect, or we shall all end up in the street!" He continued rambling.

"George, not so loud" His wife tried to calm him down, but calming down was the last thing om his mind.

"The neighbors will hear" Aunt added too.

"Let them hear. Let the whole world know! This is not a nurse! This is a dog" He growled

He turned to Ella, anger filling his eyes. Ella couldn't recognise the man in front of her.

"Tomorrow you begin your instruction with Aunt Millicent" he said and pointed at Ella.

"It's time for you to grow up!"

With tears in her eyes Ella went upstairs, trying to get away from reality.

After the massive argument ended, Mrs Darling got ready for the party and tacked her four children in their beds.

The barks of Nana could be heard, and made Ella's heart ache.

"Mother, can anything harm us after the night-lights are lit?" Michael asked his mother. Mrs darling turned her attention to her youngest baby.

"No, precious. They are the eyes a mother leaves behind to guard her children" Mary answered his son.

"Mother, must you go to the party?" Wendy asked trying to make her stay.

"Yes mother. Do you have to go?" Ella asked hoping her mother would not.

"Yes, Mother, you don't have to go" Michael said.

"Father can go by himself" John joined the conversation.

"By himself?" Mary asked in disbelief.

"Your father is a brave man. But he's going to need the special kiss to face his colleagues tonight" Mary explained to her four children trying to convince them that their father isn't so mean as they think he is.

"Father? Brave?" Ella said nearly scoffing.

Mary looked at her precious one and said

"There are many different kinds of bravery. There's the bravery of thinking of others before oneself. Now, your father has never
brandished a sword nor fired a pistol, thank heavens"

"But he's made many sacrifices for his family and put away many dreams" she continued

"Where did he put them?" Michael asked.

"He put them in a drawer" she told him.

"And sometimes, late at night, we take them out and admire them. But it gets harder and harder to close the drawer" she said looking at the girls.

"He does. And that is why he is brave." She told them and then tacked them to bed.