She Kills Monsters

I'm not sure when I woke back up, or when I even fell asleep. I assume it was sometime during the ride here. I must've been out for awhile given that it was dark out now. We were back at Yuri's weird storge church, the guys outside watching Yuri as he worked on his helicopter that's supposedly supposed to get us all out of here. But that rusty old thing didn't look like it could carry more than three.

Inside the building I was with Mrs. Byers. She was helping clean me off and put bandages over my injuries. Half of them I didn't even know were there.

"Oh my gosh." She said examining my broken hand. "Doesn't that hurt?"

"It does." I said quietly. "I guess I'm just, used to it." I shrugged making the blanket sitting over my shoulders fall slightly, Mrs. Byers went and readjusted it before going back to work on my hand.

"Well, hopefully we can get you guys home, and we'll get you away from this place." I scoffed sadly.

"Sure, home." She froze and looked at me, I looked at her with confusion. She grimaced and held my hand in both of hers.

"Y'know, your sisters, after your funeral, they decided they wanted to stay in Hawkins. They were scared of leaving you behind. So Dani picked up a job, and now they live in a little trailer home down town." Something lit up inside me. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. We finally had a home.

"Really?" Mrs. Byers nodded, a grin on her face. "There was a funeral for me?"

"I huge one."

"Did anyone come?" I joked.

"So many people. You and Hop, you guys are hero's down in Hawkins."

"Hero's?" I repeated.

"El would always tell people about it, tell them that you saved her life." I felt my heartbeat skip, I still couldn't believe anything I was hearing. "You know, they're all gonna be so happy when they see you again." I chuckled.

"I don't think Eli would." I mumbled.

"Oh she would. She misses you more than anything. And she's changed. She's changed a lot." I furrowed my brows, I thought that could be the case with her but I never thought I'd hear it. "Yeah, I know. And I bet you she'll be the most excited when she sees you." I looked down and smiled. I've never been so Happy in the entirety of the time I've been here in Russia.

"How long have we been gone anyway?" I asked.

"Almost nine months."

"Nine months?" My eyes widened, my time in prison felt like years. But I still couldn't figure out how old I was.

"Nine months too long." She joked. "But we'll get you home soon enough." I smiled weakly.

When we finished bandaging I was put in a large t-shirt that Hopper had found in one of Yuri's crates then was carefully laid down on the bed that had been left here, tucked under the thin blanket. Sure it was springy and uncomfortable but I'd take it over a cold tile floor any day.

-

I didn't realize I had fallen asleep. One minute I was being tucked in by Mrs. Byers then the next, the room is dark, faint talking in the back round. The voices were fogged, sounding like they were underwater. My ears must've been clogged again, now that the fever really broke it's way through, it was hitting me hard, but I listened in on the conversation going on in the room.

"She's telling the truth." Mrs. Byers said. "When we were in the lab, those particles we saw, they were alive. And if they're alive, that means a gate is open in Hawkins." I sat for a moment and thought. Could that be why I was alive. I mean, from what I remember, I was stabbed. Like multiple times. I died. I know it. So how could I be back. Was the gate the reason I was here?