Chapter 4 - Phenex God Pt. 2/10 "Dagger of Mercy"

"Talking"
'Thinking'
"Flashback"
"Attack/Name"
"Narrator"

Israel

Marisbury Animusphere was a Mage and a talented one at that. Yet he didn't seem to care about the apparitional desires most Magi did, in fact, he seemed to have completely ordinary wishes. The man spoke with a seemingly carefree demeanor, as though he was completely ignorant of the mysteries of the magic world. Honestly, it was a blessing to the Slayer, rather a carefree man than someone who couldn't control their emotions at the mere sight of him.

It was for this reason that he found himself walking alongside Marisbury to wherever the man was headed to. Normally he would've left any person to go find what he needed alone, but he had a feeling he was supposed to meet Marisbury. Merlin dropped him off right as Marisbury was about to pass by his position, that couldn't have been a coincidence.

Looking back at the man, the Slayer focused on him narrating about Jerusalem. Once again his speech lined up with the ordinary attitude the Mage presented, however, he quickly stopped speaking about the city, switching topics. Marisbury looked up at the Slayer, asking, "How much do you know about the king, Solomon?"

An odd question, perhaps he was studying the old king. Continuing with his question, Marisbury stated, "The old king of Israel, rumored to have wisdom bestowed upon him by God himself. And it was because of this, he was never able to live a normal life. Putting both the will of God and his people before his interests. While that may have made him a good king, it certainly would have detracted from his personal life."

Marisbury spoke with a scholarly tone, as though he was a history professor giving his students another lesson. Marisbury then revealed, "He's who I'm trying to summon as my Servant for the upcoming Holy Grail War."

The Slayer stopped in his tracks at his last sentence, specifically the word 'Servant'. He heard it many times in the past day, just what was a Servant. Marisbury stopped, looking back at the Slayer, realizing the Slayer's confusion. With a gentle smile on his face, Marisbury asked, "I'm guessing you don't know what a Servant is?"

The Slayer nodded, Marisbury giving a soft chuckle before answering, "To put it simply, Servants are people or legends who have been recorded into history, earning a spot in the Throne of Heroes. Once their soul enters the throne, they become what is known as a Heroic Spirit. These beings can be summoned from the Throne of Heroes, tying themselves to a Master who anchors them to this Earth. It's for that reason why Servants are loyal to their Masters. Another reason why Servants even allow themselves to be summoned is that in the Holy Grail War, they can use the Holy Grail to acquire their wish."

The Slayer nodded at Marisbury's explanation. It seemed simple enough, people from history who went into an afterlife-like place called the Throne of Heroes and then were summoned down onto the Earth to fight. Walking over to Marisbury, he watched the Mage eye his armor before admitting, "Though I haven't seen a Heroic Spirit like you. Perhaps you're from the future? That would suggest the Throne of Heroes exists outside the bonus of time...

Regardless, it doesn't matter at the moment. You're still good company." Marisbury added, the Slayer finding that comment humorous. Perhaps he would stick with the man, he seemed like interesting company himself.

Elsewhere - Kuoh Academy

"Damn I'm sore. Sekaino didn't take it easy on me..." Issei groaned in class, rubbing his shoulder to ease the pain as much as he could. Looking out the window he saw the empty courtyard down below, only a custodian performing his various duties. His teacher droned on about the lesson, Issei focusing on anything else he could.