VIII

Scarlett POV: 

"He caught you. Drive back to the start. We're doing the same thing again. Don't let Max catch you." 

My blood was boiling. We were doing test rounds for hours already and it was always the same. Out of five times, he caught me five times. Driving back to the start, I waited for the "Go." 

My grip around the wheel tightened and my gaze hardened. He was about 30 seconds behind me. I took a deep breath. I need to focus. I need to want it. The win. The annoyed look on his face, when I'm better than him. 

"3...2...1..GO!" 

It's like the trigger got pulled. Not waiting another second, I hit the gas pedal. A very good start. Now, stay away from him. 

"Max started driving, focus Scarlett." 

Not saying anything back, I sped up and took risks at the corners. I need to create a move only I can do. A move, when the others watch me, they get scared. 

For the first half of the round, I was doing better than in the previous ones. The gap between us stayed the same. 

"Just a little bit more. You're doing great."

Good news for me. Though, I knew how annoyed he must be. And just the thought of it, made me form a smile on my lips. 

I was already seeing the finish line and was happy that I made it. He didn't get me. I won this one. 

Or so I thought. 

"He got you, Scarlett. What happened?"

I didn't even blink when he passed me. I lost again. How did he do that? He was clearly behind me! At least 10 seconds. 

Getting back to the garage, I got out of the car. Either, my talent disappeared over night or he has a secret what makes him so good. 

"We're done for today. You have a meeting soon though, go take a shower. We'll continue tomorrow." 

I nodded, thanked everyone and walked back to my driver room. I took off the helmet and almost ripped the balaclava off my head. 

"Not your day, hah?" 

I turned around only to find Max walking towards me, his helmet in his hand. 

He was the last person I wanted to talk right now. Actually, he's a person I never want to talk to. 

"Wow, it's really not your day. There's no snippy comments coming from you today." A jerk smile formed on his lips and he stopped walking when he was standing in front of me. 

He was in a good mood today. Of course he was. He won every single time. And I look like a joke next to him. 

I only stared at him, not saying anything and opened the door of my driver room. But he didn't stop talking. If this is how he is like when he's in a good mood, I prefer him in a bad mood. Because he talks less. 

"Now come on, Addams. You have a bad day today. That's alright. For someone like you, of course." He held back from laughter. "Is something going on? Are you still thinking about the kiss?"

I closed my eyes for a second, let out a sigh and turned around. He pisses me off. Actually, I'm a calm person. Dumb people can't do anything to change that. But he has a talent to push all my buttons. 

"Listen, Idiot. Be arrogant how much you want, but don't treat me like a girl that's obsessed with you just because we kissed when we were drunk. All I can think about when I see you, that I want to take away your beloved title."