Chapter Nineteen: Resolution Between Like and Love

Alazne

Joshua cringed as he settled onto the table. His hands neared his wounds. A bit of blood managed to leak through his bandage. I tried to ignore the bloody smell, as I gripped the hem of his shirt and helped pull it up, revealing a bruised torso. But even bruised, Joshua’s body still managed to be toned and he had well defined muscles. Yet he had a lean structure which gave him a boyish appeal.  It was similar to a swimmer’s body.

        Trying not to focus on it too much, I tossed the shirt onto the couch. I could worry about the stains later, I told myself.

        Josh didn’t say much. His eyes just followed my actions. He probably was wondering why I was do distant, but how else did he expect me—or anyone to handle rejection? Of course it wasn’t an official rejection, but it still made me feel sad thinking about.

        Carter has also kept a distance from me so I guess it was a normal reaction.

        I gently pried the bandages off with my finger. Josh flinched as my finger nail brushed upon his torso. “Sorry,” I muttered. I tried to ignore the stains and how much it might hurt. I never broke a bone or got in a serious accident, but I still fear the pain of a paper cut.

        “It’s fine,” Josh said. His voice was hoarse. I should hurry and replace the bandage so I could give him his meds. Josh cursed under my breath, probably feeling the breeze from the fan on his skin.

        His torso had a couple of small stiches, but just blue bruises. The blood was coming from one of the open stitches, but it was just a small tear.  I threw the bandages in the garbage bin by my feet, and went to take the wet cloth from the small bowl, and gently dabbed it. The towel soaked up the blood as I guided it around.

        Then putting it back in the bowl, I grabbed the ointment from the table top, and uncapped it so I could dab a bit on my finger. Then I slowly creased his scars.

        Josh hissed. “Sorry,” I said.                                   

        Josh shook his head, and sucked his breath sharply. “It’s fine.”  A weak laugh came out of his small smile.  “I didn’t feel a thing.”

        I scoffed and rolled my eyes. “Yeah, Josh. That whimper was just your stomach growling.”

        “It could be.”

         I didn’t bother answering, and shifted the topic around. “Are you looking forward to going back?”

        Josh was silent for a while. I noticed his fingers curling and uncurling from the table. He had a strange expression on his face.

        I pulled a chair and sat on it waiting for his answer. Beatrice had left to finish things off for her report. “I don’t know. What about you?”

        “What do you mean you don’t know?”

        “Why didn’t you give a proper answer?” Josh smirked, his eyes found mine. “You don’t know the answer either, do you?”

        I thinned my lips. “I miss my family.”

        “I miss my friends.” Josh nodded in agreement. “We both should be happy.”

        “Yeah,” I agreed.

        “Then why aren’t we?”

        I shrugged. “Unfinished business?”