Chapter Twenty-Eight: Pushing and Pulling

A/N

This is probably the longest chapter I wrote in the novel, so I hope you you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. :D

Also this isn't edited/proofed readed so let me know if you see any mistakes. I'll really appreciate it. :)

       So without further ado, here's chapter 28:

((Feel free to comment, vote, fan and share--AKA be heard, encourage me, motivate me  and make my day! ))

And chapter 29 will be posted soon!

 ---

Chapter Twenty-Eight:  Pushing and Pulling

Joshua   

I admit some things in the world aren’t meant to bring laughter or joy, or even a small smile. Some things in the world are meant for tears, death is one of them. The idea of parting from loved ones in another, it’s very similar to death. What do they have in common? Isolation, yes, that’s part of it. But truth is: it is human nature to want to fit in or be part of something big. It’s natural to us.

       But Alana wasn’t the type to be open up with others easily. She’d try to keep a distance no matter how much bigger the consequence is compared to socializing. It’s something I don’t understand about her, but I need to understand.

        “Alana, talk to me. Dammit.” I breathed, taking Alana into my arms. I gently glided her head to my chest, feeling the strands of her hair tickle my jaw. “Don’t just…please.”

          Nothing except the sound of the rain in the background filled the air. She was stiff in my arms, leaning away from my right arm. I peered down at the area to see a red streak. “What happened?” I asked.

          I didn’t care what Alana did—whether she cursed or shoved me aside—heck! I just wanted her to freaking say something. Anything would’ve lightened my mood.

          It took me so long to catch up to her. As soon as she sensed my presence behind me, her speed quickened, changing direction from her third period class to the exit.

          The weather had shifted from the sunshine afternoon to rain. Unfortunately, that didn’t stop my Alana. That just encouraged her to run further and further away, letting the rain drench her.

          I curled a strand of her hair around my finger, brushing it away from the scratch mark. It was bright red, which meant it happened recently. “Did you fall?”

          I was trying to keep my calm. I wanted to stay rational, but goddammit did I want to get some response from her, that it was driving me crazy inside.

          She shuddered, pressing her head closer to me. So close that I have no doubt that she could hear my rapid heartbeat.  

          The large oak tree above us gave some shelter from the water, but some droplets slipped through its branches and leaves.  I eased my hand over her head, and gently petted it down.  Many of her hair strands clung to one another like a tangled mess, and stuck on her face.

          I inhaled, trying to shove unnecessary thoughts out of my head.  Her arms circled around my waist, until her fingers dug themselves deeper into the folds of my shirt. “I just want to go home,” she croaked into my chest, a sniffle soon followed, then a shudder.