Chapter Two: Snow Shoveling Job and Snowboarding

A shoutout to one for my first readers, Johanna_Wood. Thank you for reading my stories. ^.^

___

Alazne

I tugged on my scarf closer to my mouth; the wind was blowing snow particles around like they were its dance partner. My mitts were damp from snow shoveling for the elderly lady next door, now I was on to the next client. I was raising money for a new pair of winter boots, I had out grown my old ones and I was now wearing my sister’s boots. Her boots were more like a fashion statement and barely gave any warmth. I shivered at the chilly wind. Why was I shoveling when it was still snowing? I asked myself. It wouldn’t do any good. I looked up at the road sign. The bus had unfortunately let all the passengers off for reasons unknown making it harder to go to my new destination.

This was the first time I came into this part of the neighbourhood. The houses were wide, tall and had an average of two built-in garages. Stone brick towered upward, holding a sturdy balcony. Most houses in the neighbourhood had a lengthy garden and decoration in the front lawn. Everything looked priceless, just like the glass swan on one person’s front lawn, it also looked fragile.

Crossing the road, I stepped on the salt covered sideway, careful not to slide on them I edged closer to the blanket of snow, in case I fell. I kept turning, and took extra care to look at the house number. The house was coming up, I told myself. Spotting it, I gave a quick sprint to towards there, slanting into the lawn. I was going to shovel it anyway. I paused at the large amount of stairs spiraling upwards to the doorway, this is impossible. Snow piled just halfway to my knee, how am I going to shovel all this? I might as well leave now. Crossing my arms for warmth, I exhaled. I had to do this, for the boots and if I don’t shovel this, the owners of the house will be disappointed.

The house was wide like two elephants and appeared to have two stories. The window frame was cream white but I couldn’t be too sure since it was winter. They had golden curtains hanging inside the windows except the one at the far right end, that one was a burgundy color. Black curvy rails separated the side walk from the lawn. The door easily slid backwards and allowed me inside.

I strode towards an intercom that was near the three-built in garages. Pressing the button, I waited. “Grey’s residence,” a voice with a low Romanian accent answered.

“Alana Martina,” I replied. My nickname is, Alana; it seemed easier for most people to pronounce. I moved my numb fingers on the outline of my coat and gave a light tug on it to pull out my ID card. I presented in front of the security camera above their intercom. “You answered my flyers.”

“In the cold? Nice.” The voice chuckled. Narrowing my eyes at his insult, did he think I was demented? I know it’s snowing but I came here to help. He should be grateful. “The first thing you could do is shovel the stairs.”

“I might slip.” I muttered. “I don’t even have a shovel. I mentioned earlier in the phone call, you were supposed to supply the shovels.”

“No problem. I’ll just open garage number two. It’s in the left hand corner, hanging on the walls.” I heard a beep. “Be careful not to touch the other machinery. Some are dangerous.”

“Okay,” I answered. I thinned my dry lips, wishing the snow would stop. My hands felt distressed under my mitts. The middle garage door slid open; I waddled over like a penguin. My feet had lost it senses.

A lemony mint smell wafted towards me, I love that scent. Grinning I took my time inside, the heater had tickled me and I felt any coldness slip away. The room was vast; I could fit my bedroom plus my summer cottage in here with a few extra accessories. The white tiled floor, made it difficult since the slipperiness, equaled more stumbles for me. Grabbing a new shovel off the wall, I hastily turned on my heels and exited the garage.