Chapter Six: Candy Grams

February

Alazne

I never got a candy gram in my life, so it surprised me when the ‘Cupid’s Helpers’ called my names. I slowly raised my hand in answer to the calling. “You’re Alana?” A pudgy girl asked as she looked back at the small candy packet to see if she got the right name. She was a year of my junior. I had recognized her from the Student rep assembly in the beginning of the school. I nodded thinly, the joy of receiving a candy gram fluttering with every second she hesitated.

Her fake-angel wings were crooked in a vertical angle, and unlike the other Helpers, she had a belt filled with fake-heart bows.She edged closer to me and planted two on my desk. “Here,” she mumbled. The sides of her lips twinge upward while she said: “Happy Valentine’s day.”

“You too,” I managed to respond her smile. I held the smile longer than she did since my attention was focused more on the Candy gram than her. She left shortly after that and began handing it out to the rest of the students. My eyes hungrily observed the small bags. Something so small made me day. It almost seemed silly to think about it.

I lifted my head, only to scan the classroom, wondering who sent it but everyone was comparing their Candy grams like it was a contest on who had more friends to actually note on how extravagate it felt. Of course, this probably wasn’t the first time they received one.

My hungry eyes went back to the package, my hand sought out the tag of the package, it said:

                                           To: Alazne

                                          From: Joshua

                                         Period A Class: Science

                                        Message: Happy Valentine’s Day. : )

The second one read:

               To: Alana

                 From: Libby Louis

                  Period A Class: Science

                   Message: Happy V-day. Oh, I also made you a poem:

                   Roses are Red

                    Violets are blue,

                    Chocolates are my favourite,

                    Second place is love,

                    First is your smile, which I hope to see today.

                    -Libby.

                    (Ps. I tried.)

I smiled at the messages, it was simple, yet…it held a lot of meaning to me. My first candy gram! My mind yelled as I swiftly undid the ribbon of Joshua’s one, wishing I held my composure more tightly. I must look like an idiot as I shook the candy onto the palm of my right hand.