Chapter Twenty-Five: The Prankster's Confession

Sorry this took so long. I couldn't figure out how Alana would respond in the moment since she isn't a snarky person, or a person who can laugh it off. Nor is she the type of person who'd start yelling--since she is used to being a wallflower, a shy awkward one at that. Yes, she kind of "grew up" but she's not at that stage yet. Hopefully, I made the right choice at the end.

_______

Alazne

I held my breath, stiffening under their gazes. My heart was drumming in my chest, and my hand clammed up with sweat. Is this one of Joshua Grey’s infamous prank? I wondered, trying to focus on his long lashes. Am I the punch line?

My whole body heated up. His lashes fluttered opening slowly, and his bright eyes met mine. He stared at me for a while as if he was expecting something, I just stared back. His cheeks were slightly red, though I doubted it was regret or embarrassment.

 Josh was not the type of person who regretted his actions; he was the type of person who’d find it the most entertaining thing in the world. Then again what’d I know? I don’t know why, but I had this idea that I had some sort of immunity from his pranks and jokes by now, though I guess I was wrong. Way wrong.

My lips tingled, and slowly I became aware of my other senses. People were muttering—speaking. And oh god, I turned to face them.

My stomach churched, twisting in odd directions that I didn’t know was possible.  A lump formed in my throat—I need to brush this off. I need to say something—make it into a joke. I forced my head back onto Josh, opening my mouth.

A sob escaped, signaling tears to swell in my eye and fall.

“Oh god is she crying.”

“She’s crying.”

“What’s happening? Why is she crying?”   

Josh extended his hand towards me so I retreated a few steps. He’s just going to make the situation worse, I thought as my hands cupped over my mouth, which was twisting into an awkward frown. I just want to disappear. Where’d my wallflower shield go?

“What’s happening?” Mr. Smith stepped in between me and Josh. He stared at me for a while, before moving his gaze towards Josh. He turned his head back in my direction afterwards, then back at Josh. “Josh, “ he hissed. “Joshua Grey, what have you done?”

This made me sob harder. No I wasn’t going to cry. I had to brush it off as a joke. Be tough and laugh it off like it doesn’t matter or be upset. I had to do something…anything, other than cry.

“Let’s go to my office,” Mr. Smith said, he placed a hand on my shoulder, directing me towards the crowd. The crowd parted almost instantly as we headed for the exit.

Josh brushed up behind me, distancing me from Mr. Smith until I couldn’t feel the principal’s guidance.

“We are going to the office, “Josh said, breaking the silence. “Aren’t we?”

It seemed as if he was addressing me, like he knew I was scared deep inside, and frustrated. I wondered if he could sense the bitterness I felt towards him or the anxiety.

 “Yes, Josh. We are going to the office, and this time, don’t pretend to not know what happened. I’m sure there are tons of witnesses to state otherwise.”

“And the lovely Alazne Martina as the prime witness,” Josh chuckled. Something tugged lightly on one of my hair strands. I looked over my shoulder slightly to see Josh twirling a lock in his fingers. His gaze lifted, and smirk appeared on his face. “Isn’t that right?”