Chapter One: How It All Began

My first book trailer for this book on the side here--->  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                      January

Alazne

It started out with a prank and a kiss. Actually, it began with a prank gone wrong, but nobody cares about the finer details. At least, when Josh Grey tells the story. But, I feel like I should justify how it all happened. Just in case someone cares about what I, Alazne Martina, a loner—a self-proclaimed wallflower—has to say.

Flipping through my math textbook, I tried to find the formula to the area for a trapezoid. How is half the class done already? I questioned myself. I was starting to feel the frustration and a headache forming.

You might as well be the only person in the class who was not close to being done. Rubbing my eyes, I picked up my glasses and pushed them up the bridge of my nose.

I dared myself to look over my shoulder; I didn’t want to seem like an eavesdropper—I needed something to distract me from my incomplete work.

A girl with auburn hair and a huge amount of freckles on her cheeks burst out laughing. “He actually said that?” I recognized her as Libby and following her gaze, I found Piper nodding vigorously. This made Libby cackle harder; she leaned on her chair, and placed a hand on her belly. “Oh gosh, stop. You are making my stomach hurt.”

What were they talking about? Her brown eyes flickered to mine. Swallowing, I waited for her to comment. All she did was blink and turn back to Piper, like I wasn’t even there.

I frowned and looked down at my textbook. What did I expect? I was the freaky girl in fifth grade that kissed a frog, got laughed at, and finally—ignored.

I should be used to it. The memories of the name calling, and the trip to the principal office, the assembly—talking about it was bad. Everyone started ignoring me for spilling my guts and no one forgot that —they just forgot me.

I felt my eyes tear up, the moisture collecting in them. I bit my lip and blinked really fast to stop the progress. I quickly pushed back my chair and raced for a hall pass by the door. Picking up two off the pile of three, I tried to slide one down. Failing, I grabbed both and ran out the door.

No one would care if I left, they were too busy. This was one of the reasons why the prank went wrong.

Rushing down the east hallway, I faced downward at my Converse. The last thing I needed was someone to glance at my tear-streaked face. My shoulders shuddered in attempt to stop a sob. I hated this side of me; I shouldn’t have thought of it, why can’t I just move on?

This happened every time I made a connection to the past. I sometimes wished I could pack my bags and run away, however that’d be too easy. If I ran away I knew there would be greater consequences, I just had to suck it up and suffer through high school, get into a good university then job—after all that I could finally walk away with pride of survival.

Footsteps thundered behind me, and an angry voice shouted. “Joshua!” If I looked up maybe I’d never have met Josh. However, being too occupied by myself, I didn’t notice an arm on my shoulder, pulling me close.

A scent of Lemony mint hit my nose, sending shivers through my spine. Looking up, I stared at Josh’s face. I had the left side of his face; a diamond stud earring shimmered under my gaze. I gave a weak attempt to escape, star-struck by his handsome face. Blonde hair shagged downwards, falling upon his deep set of blue eyes.