Chapter Twenty-Seven: Scared, Rejected, and Dejected

Alazne

It’s odd to say this, but I don’t think Joshua Grey realizes how he impacts others or how good looking he was to others. He doesn’t notice his luscious blond hair, or how the sun’s rays outline his body, drawing out his lean-yet toned body.

He doesn’t how his lips curve into a sexy smile, or the way his eyes twinkles with glee. Or the way that people can’t help but grin in response, how giddy, proud and secure people felt when they are near him.

If he took just a second to take notice all this, I wonder how he’d react.

          Maybe he was just oblivious to everything in the world that just didn’t interest him. Things like Sara’s feelings for him. He either was ignoring, pretending or just clueless to the whole situation.

          Ever since that day at the diner Sara’s actions became more clear. If she wanted the whole world to know she liked Joshua Grey, and wanted him, she succeeded. Especially when she strut onto the bleachers, and sat down onto Josh’s lap—his lap! Even when she clearly knew that Joshua and I were together.

She slithered her arms around his neck, and placed her head against the curve of his neck. Her smile widened, revealing a colgate smile.

          Josh shifted in his seat, though didn’t push her away as a normal guy with a girlfriend would. One of his friends patted him on the back, and inquired when the two of them officially got together.

          Josh said something, but I couldn’t—“Alana, quit fantasizing about wild-boy there and come here.” Libby tugged me by the arm, turning me back into the group circle. “We have to do a quick run through for our chant.”

          I cleared my throat, quickly having a reality check. It was the second round now—the day after the day at the diner. Now I was out at the school field at lunch and my goal right now is to help the team win this round. Not concern myself of Josh and Sara.

          “Ready?” It wasn’t a question, at that moment all of us straightened our backs and turned towards the judges, and the opponent: Rhinos—with a backwards ‘R’ and a dollar sign as an ‘S’. Why’d they choose that logo out of everything? Did it have any significance?

          Focus! “R X A!” We shouted, almost in unison, clapping my hand in an overly rehearsed fashion. My heart raced with excitement, it was like a surge of energy passed through me as the chant continued. “What does it stand for?” Marjorie yelled, signaling us to start the second part of our chant.

          “Ri-Ri-Ricki!” My ear buzzed at Libby’s words. I thought she was only teasing me about it. Were they actually saying the meaning? I glanced at my shoe, unable to look up—see Josh’s reaction. How would he react? Would he laugh it off or just not care?

          “Times,” Leah paused, “AKA love.” Then she nudged me, telling me not to fail her.

          “Alana,” I squeaked quietly, staring at my sneakers.

          The group took a step back, and gestured towards me. “Alazne Martina!”

          Then they said the full meaning again. I remained silent, unable to wrap my mind around the scene. People were muttering to themselves, eyeing me, pointing at me—“Ricki and Alana equals love! Wooo!