Chapter V

104 AC

104 AC

"No," Aurelia says, when Adrian tells her that Qoren has arranged for her to foster with the Queen. "No."

Adrian sighs, seating himself more comfortably against the cushions in Aurelia's chambers. Qoren had at least allowed him to be the one to break the news to his daughter and he'd thought it best to do so in private. Aurelia might posses a mind beyond her years, but she remains a child, a child who is being sent away from home not long after the passing of her mother.

As he'd expected, Aurelia's olive cheeks flush dark crimson, her dark amber eyes flashing like lightning as she bristles and puffs up with righteous fury, so much like her cousin Martyn that a part of Adrian finds it hard to look at her. His nephew passed a few years ago, but still the memories of him are hard to bear.

"I'm sorry, little sun," he says, sorrow in his voice. "But your brother has decided."

"I won't," Aurelia vows, full of fire and fury and rage. "I won't do it, Papa, not so soon after losing Amma! I won't go!"

"This wasn't my first choice, either," Adrian says, trying to reach for his daughter's hand, only to sigh again when Aurelia rips it away, glaring down at him. "But you know your mother's death put us on a precarious position, Aura. Your brother is now the head of the family. He is within his rights to arrange this."

"No," Aurelia cries, tears welling up in her eyes. Adrian's heart aches; his beautiful daughter, who screamed when they first laid her on Adrian's arms and who has screamed ever since, loud and unbreakable and emotional, always quick to tears and quick to laughter and quick to rage. "This isn't -" her daughter's voice breaks. "This is not fair, Papa."

"Oh, Aurelia," Adrian murmurs, and this time when he reaches out, his daughter crumbles into his arms, weeping like a babe as she burrows into his chest. "I know it isn't fair, little sun," he says softly, brushing his fingers through Aurelia's thick dark hair. "But I hope that you shall be able to make the best of it."

Aurelia shakes her head, her face tucked into Adrian's throat. "I will go," she promises and he has to withhold an exhale of relief. "I will go and I will play my part. But as soon as you and Qoren agree on a marriage for me, call me back."

Adrian laughs softly. "Do not try to grow up so quickly, darling. Make the best of it. Enjoy your time on the capital. The Princess Rhaenyra is not so much younger than you, perhaps you could be happy being her friend."

Aurelia' mouth wobbles dangerously. "I do not want to leave you," she whispers, and Adrian aches all over again.

━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━

Aemma Arryn had always wanted more children.

But the Gods saw fit to take and to take and to take, instead of to give. They allowed her womb to swell, allowed her to hope to then take her dreams away. To take her babes away.