Chapter VI

104 AC

104 AC

Aurelia was cold. Freezing actually, but she was too afraid to tell anyone. It had rained as they made their way from the harbor to the Red Keep and she was soaked to the bone, it felt like. At least, the castle was near and soon, she'd be in her new chambers and be able to take a bath and wear more comfortable clothes.

When they finally rode through the gates, Aurelia felt nothing but relief. She straightened herself and gripped the reins of the mare she'd been granted, arranging her expression so only pleasantness remained as she followed Lord Strong in the procession to be welcomed by the royal family.

And there they are, the Targaryens.

King Viserys is next to his ever-pregnant wife, Aemma Arryn, herself a daughter of a Targaryen princess. They are followed by a girl who can only be Princess Rhaenyra before two young men appear in the line. One blond, one dark of hair. So, Prince Daemon and Lord Edrick Manderly, Princess Viserra's son. And the Princess stands next to her son, still able to claim the title as the most beautiful woman alive despite being a widowed mother at thirty-three, with a son nearly grown. Next to the Princess is another Princess of Targaryen blood, the former heir to the throne, Princess Rhaenys, standing next to her children, Laenor and Laena, if she remembers correctly.

She brings her horse to a halt as Lord Lyonel does so, and dismounts before anyone can come to assist her, clasping her hands in front of her body, to present the image of a nervous girl. Aurelia took a deep breath and walked towards the Master of Laws who stood in front of the King and Queen, staring at her.

"May I introduce the Princess Aurelia of Dorne," the Lord introduced her to the royal family and she gave a small curtsy, which was reciprocated by the Princess while the Queen dipped her head.

"Princess Aurelia, welcome to our home. Let me introduce you to our family," the Queen spoke up, before gesturing to her daughter. "This is my daughter, Rhaenyra. Next to her is my goodbrother, Prince Daemon and then my cousin Edrick who will soon return to the Reach, and my aunt, Viserra. And, my cousin, the Princess Rhaenys, with her son, the heir to Driftmark, Laenor and her daughter, Laena."

Aurelia smiled at each of them, and they all did the same in return. Suddenly a strong gust of wind ran through the courtyard, clawing at Aurelia's exposed neck and lower arms. She shuddered, and this time, she couldn't hide the fact that she was freezing cold.

"By the Gods, Lyonel, the poor girl is probably freezing to death," Viserra Targaryen turned to the Master of Laws and her family, a disapproving look on her face as she walked towards them. "Come with me, sweet one, let's get you inside and washed up."

━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━

Aurelia followed Lady Alicent, through the halls of the Red Keep the day after her arrival.