Chapter XXV

June 109 AC

June 109 AC

"Not bad for your first battle from the sky, sister," Laenor praised Laena that night in the camp.

"Not bad at all," Joffrey cheered, raising his goblet of wine to his lover's sister.

"Thank you," Laena said.

"Were you nervous?" Her cousin, Daeron, asked.

Laena thought for a moment. "Not very. Vhagar is a war dragon, after all and I'm confident enough in our bond."

Daemon raised his goblet at this.

Laenor thought for a moment, remembering what battle was like on Seasmoke's back, especially when he first began himself. "I'm glad you got to experience this, Laena. Hopefully, once we win, we'll bring back the might of Valyria."

"Hear, hear," Lord Corlys concurred.

Vaemond, Corlys's brother, scoffed before walking away from the group.

Corlys sighed. "You'll have to excuse your uncle."

"It's because he's sour about the succession," Laenor laughed, leaning against Joffrey. "He hates that he's not next in line."

"Laenor," Corlys said in a warning tone.

Laena smiled uneasily, getting the idea her uncle might become a problem in the future.

━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━

"Well, niece, what news?"

Her Uncle Hobert still addressed her as if she were simply his niece, as if she were still the Lady Alicent Hightower, and not the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms.

She and King Viserys had been married for three months now, and she felt as if her every move was scrutinized. The courtiers looked at her, wondering what made the king choose her over Laena Velaryon, they looked at her waistline, expecting to see it expand, to see that she and the King had married because she carried his child already — as if she would surrender her maidenhead before marriage, as if she and the King had done even more to tarnish Queen Aemma's memory.

"News of what, Uncle?" Alicent questioned with a steely glare. Of course she knew what it was that he wanted to know. Her father was the one who had ordered a midwife brought to her, but her whole family was now concerned with her womb.

"Don't play stupid Alicent," Aunt Rosamund cut in from beside her husband, just as keen, just as eager to hear that a Hightower was carrying the King's child, more than that, that their niece was carrying the King's son. Neither of them would be pleased with her answer. "Is there a child in your womb or not?"

"No," Alicent responded evenly, and immediately their faces showed disappointment. "The King and I have been married but three moons, it is still too soon..."