Chapter VII

104 AC

104 AC

With the upcoming anniversary of the King and Queen, there was an influx of nobles in the capital. More than anything, there was an influx of nobles families with children. The idea had delighted him at first, to have more boys to spar with was always a great idea (or so Daemon said). But then, the castle was suddenly full. And the boys were noisy and most were older than him. The Hand's son, Gwayne had arrived with the Hightowers and he seemed determined to make his life feel like one of the Seven Hells.

And so, after he was done with his tutors for the day, Edrick found himself taking a book and walking around until he found a suitable hiding place. Today, his hiding place was an alcove that overlooked the garden — it was next to bigger balconies, so no one bothered to use it. He was in an uncomfortable position but also, unwilling to move. He was far too engrossed in his book to be bothered about his back or his crooked legs.

The book he was currently reading was an old book from Old Valyria, detailing the tales of how the shepherds formed a connection with the dragons. Honestly, he wasn't supposed to take the book out of the private family library, but that place was too dark and he could never read in there. He reasoned that he'd return it without anyone outside of the family knowing.

He was so immersed in it that he didn't notice someone walking by the corridor in front of him, her light steps clapping against the stone floor. She stopped when she saw him, however, and clasped her hands behind her back, turning to him.

"What are you doing?" Asked a soft voice in front of him. Edrick rose his eyes from his book and saw her. The Princess Aurelia was the first of the new additions to court — a ward for Aunt Aemma, his mother had said.

"I'm reading," Edrick answered. He was sure his tutor and mother would be upset, saying something about not greeting a lady properly, but he was quite frustrated. Finally, he had a moment of peace and she came and interrupted him.

"Reading what?" She rose on her tiptoes and bent forward, looking at his book.

"A book," he said, being deliberately vague. "About Valyria"

"And, about what event in Valyria?" Aurelia placed her arms at her waist and for a moment, he was reminded of his Aunt Mara in the North.

"I can't tell you," he said, rather rudely. "It's only for family to know."

"I am your Aunt's ward," the girl said slowly. "Does that not make me family?"

Edrick groaned. "It's about the first taming of the dragons."

"Really?" She asked, curious. Then, she gathered her skirts and sat next to him. "Can you read it to me?"

"Since you asked so nicely, my lady," he said and she giggled, her voice taking on a high pitch.

He started to read out loud, but he had not even reached the end of the page before she stamped her hand on his book, blocking the words from his vision.