Chapter XXXI

Daemon seemed to have taken an interest in her household and summoned a girl from Essos to serve her

Daemon seemed to have taken an interest in her household and summoned a girl from Essos to serve her. So, now not only would she have Marianne and Liane, but also this stranger who she felt she ought to recognize.

She could have put up a fuss, she should have put up a fight, but she had to choose her battles. And if her husband planned to plant a spy in her household, she would let him. Their marriage is too new for her to gainsay him about something so trivial.

Glossy brown hair the color of honey and startling amethyst eyes — those were the first features of the girl that she took note of. High cheekbones and her regal bearing were what she took in next.

"What is your name?" Aurelia asked, assessing.

"Keira, Your Highness," her voice was soft and held an accent she hadn't heard in years, allowing Aurelia to determine with certainty that she was from Essos, likely Lys or Volantis because of her eyes and their association with Valyria.

"Your full name?" She probes and her eyes flickered down to the floor and Aurelia had to fight the urge to sigh. She'd been broken out of that habit in her childhood — in both lives. But she supposed the girl was young, they likely were the same age, and she was heading into a war camp meant to play a spy for a man they called the Rogue Prince. Allowances could be made.

"Keira Vaelys, Your Highness."

Vaelys. That was the last name of one of the Triarchs if she remembered correctly. A Triarch who had a Westerosi paramour. Well, at least the girl would not be in lands completely unknown to her. But that still begged the question of how exactly Daemon had called upon a daughter of a Triarch to serve as his spy.

Aurelia gulped, noticing some new features on the girl, the delicate bone structure she knew intimately chief among them. "Welcome to my household."

━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━

Morgan knew from the moment he was ordered to report to his brother's solar that it would be bad. He might be young, and a bit reckless, but he was no fool, and he'd seen the way his brother had been watching him when he was with Laena. Qoren had very definite ideas about who his brother should be associating with and to what degree. A mild flirtation with a noble lady was acceptable, but Morgan's brother was not stupid. He knew things with Laena had progressed beyond that.

It had taken Morgan by surprise. He'd meant to keep his distance, to avoid his crush growing into something more, but suddenly he found her everywhere in Sunspear. Flirting with her was natural, but he hadn't expected it to be more than a little fun for either of them. Which only showed that his brother was right sometimes – he really was a bit of an idiot. He had entered into flirtation with the simple goal of amusement, and had found himself head over heels in love.

He was, however, stunned that it had taken his brother this long to do something about it. He'd first kissed Laena before the wedding, and it was weeks afterward, when they were preparing to leave. He'd thought Qoren was distracted with other matters - he remembered hearing something about there being a border dispute between some of their vassals or something similar.