Chapter 4

Kora-

Waking up I yawned and sat up to stretch my aching muscles. Sleeping on the ground with only one thin fur blanket really wants the most comfortable but at least it was better than sleeping in a tree.

Looking over to the firepit I found it was little more than embers now. A small bit of light managed to slip through the entrance of the cave and I could smell the fresh scent of rain that permitted through the air. 

Standing up I walked over to the entrance and moved some of the vines to poke my head out. The blinding light had me blinking and covering my face as my eyes had to adjust.The suns were shining high in the sky no longer covered by rain clouds. Everything around me was wet and glistening with dew drops. 

I smiled a bit seeing my environment. Something was so calming about the scent of rain and it reminded me of earth when I was younger…

The happy moment didn't last long however as my stomach twisted in pain from the lack of food. Looking around I was disappointed to see the canteen I had left out last night was knocked over.

I hesitated for a moment, looking at myself and my lack of clothing before saying screw it and just stepping outside to grab my canteen. It's not like anyone around to see more or judge me anyways… 

Unfortunately I only got about half a bottle's worth of rainwater since it was knocked over but I supposed that was better than nothing. Going back inside I drank what I had collected and groaned in satisfaction as the water quenched my dry mouth and throat. With a small gasp I finished it off and set the canteen aside. 

Feeding some sticks to the fire to keep the embers alive I looked at my suit that was hanging on the rack. There were so many tears from the dumb lizards I'm not even sure if it was worth wearing. 

Grabbing my bag I pulled out the spare clothes and put them on. It was just a simple pair of khaki shorts and a long sleeve men's blouse. How original. At least they were clean. I grabbed the sneakers that came with the clothes and put them on. Once I was done getting ready I grabbed my bag and made my way outside. Time to find some food and water…

Standing outside I looked back at the cave unsure how I'd find my way back, then an idea popped in my head. Grabbing the knife from my bag I walked up to a tree and carved an arrow pointing towards the cave. Perfect!

With that plan set I started traversing the forest. Marking trees as I went. The ground was muddy so I had to avoid stepping in a lot of spots or else I'd lose a shoe.

As I walked through some denser foliage I pushed a leaf up out of my way only to have a decent amount of rain water get dumped on my head. "What the hell?!"  looking up I noticed multiple giant leaves with rainwater collected inside of them because of their cup-like shape.

Quickly grabbing my canteen I unscrewed the cap then grabbed one of the leaves slowly tipping it down to pour water into the container. A large smile appeared on my face as I copied the action with a few more and filled the canteen all the way. Water, check. Now to find food. 

I glanced around a bit and continued onward. After about an hour of searching I noticed something strange. Like a giant purple ball or…coconut?

Just sitting on the ground. I stepped closer to get a better look at it and noticed a few more scattered around. My gaze moved upward and I could see they were growing from high up in a tree. The storm must've knocked them down. 

I searched around a bit more and found a few that had been cracked open and practically picked clean from what I assumed were animals which means only one thing. Food!