chapter 60- Epilouge

–many months later–

–kora– 

Opening my eyes to see the bright blue sky and treetops high above as I walked always gave me some sense of calm. Smiling, I watched the trees sway with the blowing of the wind.

“Kora” Elazar called out from behind and I looked back as caught up to me with the larger bags he was carrying. “We are in another tribe's territory, you must cover up.”

I gave him a pouty look and pulled my hood over my head while rolling my eyes. “It's not like we are deep in their territory, the chances of running into one of them is slim.”

Elazar shook his head with a sigh before running his hand through his hair, between his horns that were newly healed. “We still must stay cautious.” 

“Fine” I huffed before grabbing the mask hanging from my bag and putting it on. Elazar then started walking ahead of me. As he went I could see he was still as careful as ever, looking around at all of his surroundings and keeping his hand on his knife.

On instinct my hand moved to my belt to grab the hilt of the blade I was carrying. 

Kion's blade.

–flashback to 3 days after the fight–

As I was busy packing up supplies from the food we collected I couldn't help but glance over at Elazar who was quietly sitting under a tree with his head down and eyes closed. 

We've not spoken a word since what happened and he's been completely out of it. He's hardly eaten anything and doesn't really reply when I try talking to him. 

I turn my gaze away looking at the fruit in my hand. The shame and guilt I felt must be ten times worse for him…

Taking a deep breath I tied the bag closed and stood up to go add wood to the fire only to get startled by the sound of a branch snapping nearby. 

Immediately adrenaline started pumping through my blood as I ran over to Elazar and grabbed his spear, holding it up. He was more alert now as well but too injured to really move.

As the sound of something approaching got closer I could see a tall figure approaching. I gripped the spear tighter, aiming the head towards the xandisian as they approached. Realizing the same thing as I, Elazar stood up, using the tree for support. 

Out of the treeline stepped out none other than roku. He stopped as soon as he saw our defensive postures. “Just leave us alone! We are leaving the area now!” I shouted at him in xandisian as he stood there conflicted. 

We hadn't had the chance to leave their territory yet because of Elazars injuries, not to mention gathering the supplies necessary for travel. I was afraid the tribe might come looking for us and attempt to chase us out of their area if they found us lingering.

Roku didn't move to attack or seem to get angry seeing us, he seemed conflicted,  looking at us. After a long pause he eventually did speak. “I am not here to fight or drive you out.”

I didn't lower my spear and continued to stay on guard but Elazar moved to grab my shoulder before stepping forward, holding his injured side. “Then why are you here roku?.”

The two stared at each other for a long moment and I lowered the spear watching them both. 

“I am here because I wish to repent. Although no apology would be great enough for what I have done… what any of us have done.” He reached into his satchel pulling out a bundle of cloth and we both watched cautious of the man before us.