chapter 56

–3 days later–

I nervously stroked my thumb back and forth over the dark cloak in my hands feeling anxious and unsure. This cloak has become something like a shield for me, this and the rest of my disguise. 

I glanced over to the remains of the charcoal powder in the bowl beside me, the makeshift horns kion made, and even the fake tail.

They were all laid out beside me on the ground. I kind of felt naked without them…

A hand coming in contact with my shoulder brought me out of my thoughts and I turned my head to the side to look up and see Elazar crouched beside me. 

His eyes met mine briefly before moving to the attire in my hands. “Are you worried?” he asked, before moving into a sitting position beside me.

I returned my attention to the cloak with a scoff. “Of course I'm worried, I'm going to be walking into the home of over two dozen xandisians who could very well decode they don't like my hair color or some shit, and try to kill me.”

Elazar's brows furrowed as he took a lock of my hair between two fingers to look it over. “They will not kill you because of your hair color.” 

I shook my head with a small smile curling on my lips. “I didn't mean that literally, it was just an example. Or metaphor?” I shrugged at my own question.

“I do not know what a ‘Matapor’ is- but I can assure you they will not attack you simply because you look different. Even talok would not stand to go against our traditions and attack a female unjustly.”

“But that's the thing, I'm human!” I exclaimed with a slight tremor in my voice.  “Your people won't see me as you do, they will see me as a threat and-” 

Elazar quickly cut me off. “They will not touch you, not while I'm still breathing. They will have to go through me first if they wish to do you harm, and they cannot do so without justifiable reason.” He reassured me.

“and me too!” Kion jumped out of the tree above, landing on the ground in front of us. “If they want to lay a hand on you they will have to deal with me as well!” He beamed happily.

“kion, I know you mean well but you can't put yourself in harm's way because of us.” 

“It's okay! The tribe would only choose to attack if you are deemed a threat. Having me on your side will show them that you aren't a danger! And, no one would dare to harm me, not even ratha!” He gained.

I looked at Elazar, a bit surprised and worried but he didn't argue the matter at all. ‘We couldn't just use kion as a shield could we?!’ El’s gaze moved to mine once more as he cupped my cheek. “Don't fret, everything will turn out well. We will take things slow and work through the issues one by one. No one will be in danger, no one will get hurt.”

I felt my stomach churn as the anxiety continued to plague me. No matter how much they say things will turn out for the better I can't help but worry.

There was just this unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach that things weren't going to turn out like we hope tomorrow. My life has always been a struggle. A fight for the right to exist. I've grown so used to expecting the worst, that I'm not so sure I'll ever be able to live without fearing for the future. Closing my eyes I take a deep breath and throw the cloak over my head. 

There's no point thinking about all of that now, I'll deal with whatever comes my way when it happens. Worrying myself now will only make things worse, besides I need to trust in Elazar and Kion. They know their  tribe better than anyone, I don't have to rely solely on myself anymore because now…