chapter 58

(To those of you who know how this is gonna end... I'm sorry 🫣😭 and for those of you who dont-- prepare yourselves, this isn't gonna be pretty...)

–kora– 

Peering through the trees ahead I felt a chill run down my spine at the sight before us. Me and Elazar had followed the tracks that lead into the forest of his tribe's territory and caught up to the creature they belonged to.

The familiar sight of the battle-worn draven was far from pretty as the creature seemed to be badly injured with half its face missing and its body burned by fire. It kept its head down with black viscous liquid dripping from a hole in the top of its maw, while limping to some unknown destination. 

The thing looked like it had just crawled out of its grave and came back to life with how mutilated its body had become after our last encounter. 

Following close behind it were several drakov warriors keeping watchful eyes on their surroundings and the draven as it walked further into enemy territory.

Me and Elazar watched from afar, making sure to keep our distance and stay hidden out of sight of both the warriors and creature. 

“Where are they going? They are moving further away from your tribe, and there's so few of them, I thought they were planning to attack?” I whispered quietly.

 Turning my head, I could see Elazar watching the intruders with the same uncertainty. “This isn't a war party…they are not here to fight.” 

Turning my gaze back I watched as the draven nearly staggered with its next step and paused before a pained and tired screech came from its throat before being muted by a wet gargle. It then vomited blood blacker than the night sky, onto the ground while the drakov stood by watching.

They all wore masks that hid their faces and had similar attire and paints marking their bodies but one stood out from the others. 

He didn't seem to hesitate as he stepped closer to the monster when it staggered. He carried a large spear covered in bones and seemed to wear some kind of armor that looked like it was made of the same keratin plating across the dravens body.

As the draven stood there panting he spoke to the others with him in a hushed voice that I couldn't make out, but Elazar seemed to hear as he inched closer and held his breath to listen.

After a moment the creature continued forward and the drakov followed in suit, speaking to one another as they went.

“Can you hear them? What are they saying?” I asked El.

Elazar seemed to be in deep thought as we watched them walk out of sight. “I'm not sure I only caught bits and pieces but they seem to be in a hurry.”

“in a hurry? To do what? To go where?”

He was silent as he looked in the direction they had gone. After a moment his eyes seemed to widen as he suddenly stood up on alert and then proceeded to run somewhat in the direction they went, only he was making a wide arch, a detor.

“Elazar!?” I got up from My hiding spot and ran after him I was careful to stay as stealthy as possible as I caught up to him and noticed some light up ahead. Fireflies soon came into view as well as some very familiar bioluminescent plants. 

El crouched down, sneaking close to the pond and I had to practically crawl on my hands and feet slowly after him as he paused.

He stopped under the cover of a fallen log and peered through a Crack in the hollow trunk gripping his spear tightly. Moving up next to him I looked through the gap and saw what he was watching.