| The Japanese Empire was no good guy. |

Period. I'm so sick of seeing a good person or good father Japanese Empire. This guy was an abuser, a rapist, a crappy person who stopped at nothing when it came to watching people suffer.

This chapter mentions all those things, including many disturbing topics.

 ➯ Unit 713.

      ⮕ Unit 731 is known for its intolerable and most notorious crimes commited by Japanese armed forces. Its responsible for over 200,000 deaths and had no documented survivors. This place was hell. They would preform horrifying experiments on the people unfortunate enough to be forced into it. These included surgery without the use of any anesthesia. Yeah, they'd cut people open and literally their organs withiut putting them under something because they thought it messed with their vessels and organs. The children who's parents were suspected spies were even tortured.

      They would amputat limbs to study bloodloss then attach it onto the opposite side of their body. In China, they dropped plague-infected fleas over towns folks and killed so many due from the bubonic plague (the disease the fleas were carrying).

      Flame throwers were tested on people. People were tied and used as targets. They were starved, dehydrated, spun to death, burned, hung, injected with animal blood, buried alive, burned alive, and had chemicals tested in and on them. 

➯ Rape of Nanjing

      ⮕ During the Japanese occupation of Nanjing City, China in 1937, 20,000 women and children were brutally raped. They would rape women to death. Thousands of their bodies were dumped into the Yangtze River and the Japanese hadn't stopped until the river turned red. They'd looted the city and burned ⅓ of it when they were done. Overall, 300,000 people lost their lives during the massacre. This was a traumatic event in Nanjing's history–In China's history.

➯ Occupation of Korea.

      ⮕ I've talked about this before so I won't go into too much depth about it. The Empire of Japan occupied Korea from 1910 until 1945 after the two bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were dropped and Japan was forced to surrender the territory. During this time, Japan tried exterminating Korean Culture and did as much as even banning Hangul. During the March 1st Movement (a movement made by the Koreans to try and gain independence from Japan) they'd headed everybody in the town of Teigan and burned it to the ground with the people inside of it while shotting through the windows. They locked the doors to prevent the people from getting out. Those who participated in the movement were tortured and executed after.

 ➯ Occupation of Taiwan

      ⮕ They'd even occupied Taiwan from 1895–1945. They'd also been unfortunately killed by Japan during this time, one incident being the Musha Incident. Japan started a road program that would build into Indigenous territories. Indigenous peoples were killed during this program. Between 1914 & 1917, the Japanese forces commited an aggressive "pacification" (which is ironic because a pacification is meant to create peace) which killed many residents. They wanted to take over the Truku People so they just attacked it.

➯ Other notable occupations

⮕ I can't talk about every Occupation in depth, however they also occupied Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia (known as Indo-China at the time), Myanmar (Burma), Thailand (Siam), Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, East Timor, Brunei (Dutch East Indies), Philippines, Hong Kong, China, Nauru, Guam, Kiribati, Papau (Australian Territory, now New Guinea), Mariana Island, Marshall Island, and Solomon.

      Wanna know how many nations I just named?

      21. 

      They lied and made propaganda to try and tell people they liked being Japan, even though thay was far from the truth. They treated them like they were nothing and tried making them, well, Japan. Stripping away their cultures and languages.

     Hell, at even one point they had a competition in China to see how fast they could kill 100 people with a sword.

➯ Forced Labor.

      ⮕ During the Bataan Death March was a forced match against the Filipino and American soldiers. They'd make people march im the heat despite theit exhaustion, hunger, and thirst. They'd behead those who fell out of line and run those left behind over with their vehicles. 

    The Death Railway was an unfortunate event whrn Australians and Asians were forced to build until they died.

     I already talked about the comfort woman, but they were also an act of forced labor.

     Prisoner of War (PoW/POW) camps contained labor as well. They captured over 140,000 allied military personnels, held in unbearable conditions,  and forced to work/build. They died of starvation, malnutrition, mistreatment, diseases, and of course, harsh punishments/environment. 

➯ They dont own up to some things.

      ⮕ This is more a modern issue, but even still, I find it important to note how during their reign, they showed no mercy for anybody. They carried out all of this like it was second nature to hurt anything that wasn't them. While they've changed dramatically, its still an ongoing issue with ignorance and denial. They never apologised for Unit 731, even when the government acknowledged it in 1988 and still haven't given some people official apologies for what they'd done for them.

      On that note, however, I'd like to say how there are people who have owned up to some of this stuff, don't think the entire nation is subjected to that statement. Even some examples are;

      Hatoyama Yukio had said about the Nanjing massacre "As a Japanese citizen, I feel that it's my duty to apologize for even just one Chinese civilian killed brutally by Japanese soldiers and that such action cannot be excused by saying that it occurred during the war."

     Katsuya Okada said, "I believe what happened 100 years ago deprived Koreans of their country and national pride. I can understand the feelings of the people who lost their country and had their pride wounded," about the occupation of Korea.

      Naoto Kan stated, "I express a renewed feeling of deep remorse and state my heartfelt apology for the tremendous damage and suffering caused by colonial rule...against the will of the Korean people" reguarding the Korean Occupation .

     There's is room for better relations, there is room to improve and act upon, but it isn't like people haven't tried.

[ Some Notable People ]

➯ Xia Shuqin is a Survivor or the Nanjing massacre. She was 8 years old when she watched her family murdered in their home by the Japanese before being stabbed herself. She fought for years against those who deny the Nanjing and refuse to admit it. She's turning 94.

➯ Kim Bok-dong was a comfort woman who was put into sexual slavery at as a young woman. She tried commitng suicide by drinking poison, though her plan failed. She publicly shared her experience in 1992 which sparked for her to campaign and act against sexual slavery, abuse, and human rights. She died in 2019 at the age of 92.

➯ Liu Huang A-tao was the first Taiwanese to sue and demand an apology against Japan. She was 19 when she was made a comfort woman after being tricked by Japan into being told she would be a nurse. "It is not us, but the Japanese government that should feel ashamed," she replied when asked about her experience. "We are all cherished daughters in the eyes of our parents. Since the Japanese army robbed us of our virginity, it is not too much to demand an apology from such a government." She told a journalist. She died in 2011 at the age of 88.