TWELVE.

"Yo Dal, I know you finna clock out in like three minutes, but can you ring that customer up real quick for me? Thanks!" Quill asked Dalvin and scurried off afterwards, leaving him with basically no choice.

Dalvin didn't let his slight irritation show as he walked back over to his register. "I can serve who's next!"

The lightskin girl with purple streaks in her hair stepped up, giving him a cute smile. "Hi. I'll just take a large waffle fry with a Sprite."

"Large waffle fry and a sprite. Five eighty-eight," Dalvin passed her receipt over as she inserted her card into the machine. "Can I get a name for your order?"

"Haven."

As Dalvin passed her drink over, she decided to shoot her shot. "Can you add some Chick-Fil-A sauce in the bag? And throw your number in there too."

"...my number?"

"Yeah, your number," Haven confirmed. "Unless you got a girl or something."

"Nah, nah, I'm single," Dalvin assured her, even though he was still focused on the girl named Lo. Why not up the score?

Haven smiled, taking a sip of her soda. "Okay, so give me your number. Instagram, Tiktok, something."

Dalvin smirked at her then felt the buzzing sensation of the alarm coming from his phone. "Give me one second. Imma go clock out then we gon' continue this conversation."

He ran to the back and Haven sat at a table, scrolling on her phone and sipping on her drink. Once Dalvin came back, she had got her fries and was enjoying them at a table by herself.

He smoothly slid and sat across from her, gaining her attention. "How 'bout you give me your phone number instead of you getting mine?"

"No," Haven shook her head. "If I give you my number, who's to say if you actually gon' text me? I'm not dumb, I know how you niggas work. Why don't we exchange phones and you give me your number and I'll give you mine?"

"We can do that," Dalvin compromised.

The two swapped phones, adding their names and numbers to create new contacts. They both stood up at the same time, making their way to the glass doors.

"Are you gonna text me?" Haven asked.

"We'll see," Dalvin held the door open for her. "You better not have a boyfriend. I ain't tryna be that nigga on the side and be fighting niggas cause of you."

Haven rolled her eyes. "I'm big single so you ain't gotta worry 'bout that. You got a unique name, by the way. I ain't never heard of no one named Dalvin. I'll be sure to tell my work bestie about you since I tell him everything."

"I was gon' compliment you on your name till I heard you say ya' work bestie was a 'him'," Dalvin playfully shook his head. "Y'all probably got something going on."

"Eww no," Haven cringed. "Me and him are just friends, that's it. He gives me boy advice and I give him girl advice."

"Mmhm. Where you off to?" Dalvin changed topics.

"Home," Haven responded. "I just got off work."

She was about to make a left and he was about to make a right, so their conversation was about to come to an end.