Broken Love Story: Part One

Emily

I didn't even know when I could begin to talk to my ex-boyfriend again, and it was killing me.

Before we left for break, Sarah forced both Calvin and I into talking to each other in a group chat a few weeks after our emotions were still raw from breaking up. He promised he wasn't mad, but he could've just been saying that to get my sister off his case.

It'd been a whole semester and summer vacation since then, and so far, we'd somehow been able to make eye contact without bursting into tears. That had to be progress, right?

During our last pass-by, I think he almost actually gave me a smile! Or maybe he was remembering a funny joke he'd heard earlier and accidentally made eye contact with me. I wasn't really sure. I really missed his smile.

So awkwardly, I stood a few tables away from him in the dining hall. Was approaching him at this point even a good idea?

After mulling it over for a good two minutes and staring afar like a stalker, I ultimately decided to try beginning a conversation

After mulling it over for a good two minutes and staring afar like a stalker, I ultimately decided to try beginning a conversation. The worst that could happen with his sweet personality was that he would make up some excuse about being in a hurry.

 The worst that could happen with his sweet personality was that he would make up some excuse about being in a hurry

It might hurt a bit, but nothing compared to... ugh, just thinking about that stupid kiss with Brandon and that whole stupid day made me die inside just a little more.

That was the day I made the sweet Calvin Beckett Waterman cry.

Me.

Just remembering his expressions, I didn't think he could ever forgive me. I would've done anything to take it all back and never have hurt him.

"Hey Cal," I greeted him softly, walking up to his table.

He jumped up, his eyes suddenly wide with some kind of emotion, "Hey Em."

I internally squealed at his usage of my nickname. If he was still upset or mad, he probably wouldn't even have used a nickname at all!

"Mind if I sit?" I asked, pointing to the spot across from him.