Belated Consequences

Emily

"Are you sure you don't want your name on the party decorations? This is a going-away party, and you're also going away. Right?" Quinn questioned me.

How could I put my name up there and celebrate leaving my sister when she couldn't handle being on her own for a single class? I didn't even know if I could leave her. I needed the option to break away if I suddenly changed my mind, and it wouldn't break Sarah.

"Girl, it's your birthday party. I'm not putting my name on the cake, oh my goodness. The birthday girl is the only one who is allowed to get attention, and I'm not stealing from that!" I lied through my teeth.

Quinn had been pressuring me for the past three weeks to tell Sarah. Of course she knew it was for Sarah's benefit. I had to tell her sooner or later, but I knew I'd waited too long.

Not only was it impossible to back out without Quinn and Mia throwing shame on me for not following my dream, it was impossible to get my classes back. They'd filled my spots in every class I dropped, and added me to the program. It was billed (and paid without a second thought, I guess Dad sent the money as soon as the bill showed up?), and there were no refunds. Not to mention, I'd be betraying myself if I backed out now. Mia made that incredibly clear every time she saw me crying outside the dorms.

"It's a going away party too

"It's a going away party too. Guess who else is going away? You! Where did my attention hog best friend go?" Quinn pushed.

I couldn't figure out what to tell her, but the few seconds of silence she heard were enough to tattle on me about what she'd been pestering me to do.

Also since when was I an attention hog?!

"You haven't told Sarah yet, have you?" She realized.

"I have!! She totally knows!" I felt the lies escape me faster than I could think.

"EMILINE, WE LEAVE TOMORROW!! SARAH DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO ADJUST QUICKLY! WHY AM I TELLING YOU ABOUT YOUR TWIN?! IF SHE DOES NOT ALREADY KNOW, I SWEAR!"

I had to hold the phone away from my ear with how screechy her yelling was.

"I know my own sister, thank you very much! Just... the party should be about the birthday girl. Do not add me," I instructed very carefully.

"If she knows, that won't be a problem. You share your birthday every year. Since when haven't you loved being the center of attention?"

"Since my heart is in the gutter and I'm not in the mood to be the center of attention."

"Fine, whatever. I'll see you later," she said before she hung up.