Too Late

Calvin

I hated my major. Biochem. I was never interested in science, better yet the mathematics that came with it.

Maybe at the beginning of college, I was able to get through the first few classes with a pretty decent understanding, but the stuff just got harder and harder by the year. I was in my last year, but taking 8 of those impossible classes to graduate on time.

My parents would legitimately disown me if they saw my GPA at this point. Or if they knew I failed a class last semester— or at least would have, if the professor didn't give me an incomplete in the gradebook, so I could make it up this semester with extra credit projects.

He had only given me that chance because my grandfather passed away. However, his office hours were insanely early in the morning, but I made the appointment with him. Embarrassingly, I accidentally slept in and missed the appointment the first time, so we rescheduled.

THEN, this time around, it just...

"Hey bro, don't miss your classes today

"Hey bro, don't miss your classes today. Get up."

My eyes shot open, despite the heaviness of my eyelids. "What time is it? Did I fall asleep?"

I pulled a few wrinkled notes out from under me.

I'd been working on a study guide for an exam today.

"9:36," Hudson replied as he switched the TV on.

All of Professor Y's office hours were over at 9:45! I'd had an appointment at 5:30 today! I didn't even know if he'd still take me, but I knew had to be there today somehow.

I had shoved the wrinkled paper stuck to my cheek and the others in my backpack, scraping the homework off the floor to throw in.

I jumped off the couch and scrambled out the door. I accidentally bumped into Sarah leaving her room.

"Dude!! Really??" Sarah grumbled, having dropped something from the collision, probably her phone.

"Sorry, sorry!" I apologized quickly as I busted out. I felt so bad and would've turned to help, but this was urgent.

The elevator would take too long, so I took the staircase to hop a few levels where I could in the spiral. Still sleep-deprived, I took a bit of a stumble in the last hop and fell a few steps.

I pulled myself up and ran out as fast as I could, but had to wait for the stupid crosswalk. Cars were zooming by, but I took my chances where I found them. I ran through when there was a clearing.

I then sped across the field and quad, up to the building where my professor's office was supposed to be. I didn't even know his room number.

Panicked, I grabbed for my phone but it wasn't in my pocket. I threw my backpack on the floor and opened it up, but nothing. I'd left it behind.