Social Hesitation

Calvin

I had to admit this break Emily and I were taking was killing me more and more by the day. I felt so stupid for suggesting it, but what kept popped into my mind as a reminder was the image of Emily kissing with her ex-boyfriend.

But maybe she didn't mean to. Emily was an impulsive girl, I knew that from the start. I could tell she genuinely felt apologetic about what happened.

Is it crazy that I just wanted to be with her again?

Getting to see her, talk to her, laugh a little again with her... it just felt right. But then, that image popped in my head again just as I realized how much I still loved that girl, and like a coward, I ran.

I was far from being a generally impulsive person, I planned everything out, but something about Emily has always made me feel spontaneous. Nothing I could ever do or say would mess up how she thought of me, so unplanned ideas never filtered themselves around her.

I knew I had to run before I spontaneously word-vomited how much I missed her and wanted to end our break right then and there. That image reminded me that her impulses were dangerous to my heart, where mine only belonged to hers.

But what if they meant nothing? What if she truly loved me just as much as I loved her?

I had to tell her how I felt. The amount of excitement and crush-like excitement I felt at the simple idea of getting back together with her told me enough about what my heart wanted, and this was it.

Just as I finished pondering this decision, my fraternal twin sister, Kelsey, decided to video call me.

"Why do you have that dumb look on your face?" She asked, laughing as soon as I answered her call

"I talked to her today," I immediately told Kelsey.

I didn't know why I admitted that right away, as she embarrassingly caught me crying over my breakup with Emily at least four times over the summer break when I went back home.

"Emily?" Kelsey guessed. "Dude!! She cheated!"

Yeah, I couldn't blame her for being apprehensive considering how I thought it was the end of my world without Emily and felt like I was being crushed alive the entire time.