Penalized

Emily

After the remainder of the last quarter and summer had passed, I was still dealing with the fun of a breakup, and there was nothing more I could tell myself to speed up that process. It burned to think that I fell back into square one. I was straight back where I started when college began. After all that time, it was as if nothing had progressed in my life.

I was single again.

My life felt like it crumbled harder. The guy I thought would be my husband one day was in the same category as Brandon Gardner, and that was a painful stab in my heart I couldn't heal with a simple vacation day or shopping trip.

The one person I could always run to on my good or bad days was now deleted from my life.

Wait, no. That was actually not true.

I had my sister, Sarah, too. She was my roommate, so thankfully, she knew how to snap me out of the sadness when she was around.

But when I fought with her, I always ran to Calvin. Now I'd just have to talk sense into myself for those times.

I'd practically forgotten how to do that since he'd become a part of my life. I knew it would be okay, my sister was my best friend. She never let me feel alone for a moment.

There was an unfortunate side to this coin of never being left alone: I was dragged into her friend hangout times with Sarah's new friend, Mia.

Third-wheeling my own twin sister was not exactly my favorite way to spend an afternoon, but I had to admit it was better than sitting alone with my thoughts post-breakup and crying about how much I missed Calvin.

I didn't exactly enjoy being in the company of such a negative person, but my sister really got along with Mia for some reason. Now she was always around when I wanted to hang out with my sister. I couldn't help but feel irritated with the purple-haired girl (It wasn't jealousy, just irritation! I need this to be clear, jealousy doesn't exist within me!). I figured the irritation was better than crying.

I was so sick of doing that, but it came in horrible waves. Sarah did a great job of not letting things remind me of him, or flipping the sadness from when it did.

I would've hung out with my friends instead, as they were great at distracting me too, but school was back in session for the spring semester. My best friend, Quinn, was busy with classes already, and fed up with my mix of crying and vengefulness. All my other best friends were at colleges in other states.

As a result, I endured the clashing of personalities between Mia and myself in our regularly scheduled hang-outs.

"So they can really 'peen-alize' you for that?" I asked Sarah, referring to some move in the soccer game she and Mia had been watching on TV earlier and were complaining about

"So they can really 'peen-alize' you for that?" I asked Sarah, referring to some move in the soccer game she and Mia had been watching on TV earlier and were complaining about. I tried to stay engaged to keep my mind from wandering back to the subject I was trying so hard not to think about.