Chronic Guilt

Emily

Oh goodness, I just wanted it to be Calvin Beckett Waterman. Every notification that wasn't his was draining me numb.

Why was it him that felt like home? Why wouldn't my heart stop missing him so much? Why did I just want him to change his mind and say that I'm the one he wants despite everything he's told me in our last conversation?

I just wished he would call me out of nowhere, saying he was silly for not realizing that it wasn't even my fault. That I'm the one he needed in every moment.

I felt like I couldn't shake myself loose. I knew I should and I wished more than anything that I could just leave all my memories somewhere else until... well that was if he ever decided to fix things with me, but that just was not possible. More than that, my heart wanted my Calvin so so badly. I just missed him. I missed his words, his hugs, his smile.

I missed him so much, it burned my heart to imagine there could someone else I'd end up growing old with. I knew I'd rather be alone than even imagine going with anyone else because he was my safe place. I was terrified to lose that, and I wished more than ever I that I could learn what I'd have to do to bring it back.

If there was no way... how would I forget? How would I just make all that history vanish, my heart detach? I knew he knew me and that was just the hardest thing to imagine breaking. He knew all of me, everything and I couldn't take it back. I couldn't imagine a world I'd have to.

But if this was my reality, I'd guessed the first step I could take was distraction. That's what my best friends were there for, right?

Quinn thought I was an idiot for letting Brandon kiss me, but ultimately, she'd always be there for me.

I had decided to text the group chat we shared with two of our other best friends that ended up going to other universities in other states to revive an old plan we'd once brainstormed to have a girl's trip in the state of Quinn's and my university for a week.

Unfortunately, the decision I made to text my friends resulted in me feeling way way worse

To realize the friend I always thought was so kind and genuine, Avalon, intended to gossip about me to our other friend, then went on to full blown turn the whole chat against me— it just hurt. At this point, I didn't even feel like Quinn was considering how I felt about everything.