Dead Sympathy

Emily

I am ashamed to admit that I completely forgot about the other side of the problematic Brandon coin that Sarah's old bully/my ex-friend, Shelby, happened to be on.

I was busy having my own crisis with Calvin, and didn't stop to think about the feelings of the girl who was basically responsible for giving Sarah a social anxiety disorder.

Okay, maybe not too ashamed. Honestly though, could you blame me?

If we're comparing what we've done, this is my laundry list:

1) In high school, I got us both suspensions in a fight when I found out she was bullying my sister all these years,

2) I banned her and her other bully friends from my friend group (BECAUSE she was bullying my sister),

3) My ex-boyfriend that she started dating kissed me, and I didn't push him away.

This is what Shelby's done (at this point):

1) She verbally assaulted and threatened Sarah behind my back for years (WHILE being friends with me),

2) She rallied a group of other fake friends to terrorize and bully Sarah when she wasn't with me,

3) In junior high, Shelby, her friends, and some stupid boy friends she had were responsible for planning and creating an emotionally traumatizing and ILLEGAL online video of Sarah on a school-sponsored waterpark trip),

4) She attempted to replace Sarah's shampoo with hair removal cream (but Quinn saw and stopped Sarah from using it luckily),

5) She tripped me at our high school graduation,

6) LITERALLY cut Sarah in line the other day at the coffee shop when she was with Mia (but Mia told her off, HAHA!).

Now can you see why I didn't quite give a singular care in the world for the way she felt about Brandon kissing me. I mean, if it was any other girl, I would feel absolutely awful for her.

However, considering what a literal demon she was, I could not care less. Did she care about what she did to my sister? Did she care about how freaking damaging that was to her confidence? Did she even try to apologize to Sarah after all those years?

No to everything. She couldn't care less either, so why should I have to care?

Unfortunately for her, she'd decided to take my lack of apologizing to heart and confront me about it one day.

When Sarah and I were in our dorm, doing homework and chatting, we'd heard a knock.

"Mia or Quinn?" I called out, assuming it was likely either of the two.

A part of my dumb sad little heart wanted to hear Calvin's voice, but all we heard was another knock.

Sarah, being closest to the door, rolled her eyes and got up. "Mia," she assumed, although I could tell she was a little excited it might be her friend.