Chapter 23- Shisui (Edited 2/10/20)

KAKASHI'S POINT OF VIEW

I felt nervous, knees weak, wipe my forehead kind of nervous. Mina was a few months along now, going into her second trimester, a perfect time to begin to tell our friends that she was expecting. We wanted to keep it a secret for a little while, considering it is so easy to have a miscarriage in the first three months. Now that we passed by that stage, it was time to tell everyone. Naruto in particular was a challenging subject because we were now bringing a new baby into the house. At first he seemed excited...but I didn't know how he actually felt. I'm in a tight spot since I'm not his father, and I don't want him to feel left out.

How Naruto feels about the baby will establish our relationship for the next few years and whether or not Mina and I's marriage will be carried on with difficulty. After all, Naruto still believes he is Mina's son and knows I'm not his father. He may have accepted me as his mother's husband, but would he accept me as a father?

Mina was out and about all day with Mikoto, one of the few people who already knew she was pregnant, after all, Mina wanted to make sure she was taking precaution since day one. She might kill me for saying something to Naruto without her around but I wanted to establish something to Naruto...the fact that I love his mother more than anything in the entire world and that I wasn't 'leaving' anytime soon like his father. Naruto came home from the Academy while I was finishing up some left over dishes. He tossed his bag carelessly in the corner of the living room before darting to the kitchen for a snack. He greeted me with a lopsided grin and jumped into a chair.

"Hey Kakashi! What's for a snack today?! Beef, chicken, shrimp, miso?!" Naruto asked excitedly. We had this tradition of when I was home from a mission, I would always make Naruto something for a snack, mostly instant ramen. I quickly washed my hands before turning the faucet off and drying them, turning to the the blond. I gave him a closed eye smile while leaning against the counter, putting my book away that I had sitting out.

"I was thinking we could go out today, just you and me. What do you think?" Naruto hopped up excitedly before grinning and nodding. That kid definitely had Kushina's personality for sure.

"Ooh! Where, where, where!?" I placed my hands up in front of me defensively before sweatdropping.

"Um...how about Ichiraku's?"

~~

After Naruto and I ate a bowl of ramen and he ordered a second, I decided to begin talking to him. Mina and I already told Naruto about her pregnancy, something he took extremely well, so I wasn't going to say anything to him about that. This was an entirely different topic I wanted to say to him...something Mina had no idea that I was thinking about. If I'm her husband, I want to be with her in every way I can. Naruto was her adopted son and my future child's brother...it was about time I made things right.

"Naruto..." I started. I felt the pair of blue eyes peer up at me. The curious young man had a noodle hanging out of his mouth which he ate almost immediately.

"What's up Kakashi?" I ruffled my silver, gravity-defying hair before sighing.

"I wanted to talk to you about something. Feel free to stop me if I am making you feel too uncomfortable." Naruto looked at me confused before digging into the freshly made second bowl that the old man placed in front of him. His daughter was just a little bit younger than Mina and I.

"I know you grew up without a Dad, Naruto. It must have been tough for you, and I can understand the feeling of being different because you didn't have a father. I lost mine when I was around your age. I never really tried to parent you despite the fact your Mom and I are together because I didn't want to put that kind of pressure on you, after all, I am not your father." Naruto looked down at his hands, a dark look on his face. I placed a hand on his back, the softness of his green cotton t-shirt was warm from the sun behind us.