Chapter 40- New Beginnings

3 WEEKS LATER

MINAKO'S POINT OF VIEW

 "Lady Hokage, you have a visitor." My personal assistant, a young but incredibly intelligent civilian named Yumi smiled at me brightly. She was only about sixteen but she has begged me for a job post the attack from Danzo. Her house was destroyed and she wanted to help her family pay for the construction. Yumi was a very pretty girl. She had light blue eyes, the color of ice. Her hair was a very dark violet, nearly black unless seen in the sunlight. I enjoyed her presence and we got along very well. In fact, she reminded me of Mikoto alot...her attitude tender yet constructive.

"Send them in please Yumi."

"Yes ma'am." She smiled. It must be hard to be a civilian in a the ninja village. Everyone around you can do amazing things with chakra and whatnot...but they can't. I can't imagine how helpless it must feel. My thoughts were broken when I looked up to see Obito had come in. His mask was gone and he was wearing civilian robes.

"Have you decided on my offer?" I offered Obito a deal after my...'awakening'...that if he declared peace with the village and stayed here, we would not treat him as a traitor and go after him. I cared for Obito with all my heart but killing the Hokage isn't exactly a light offense. In theory, he should be put to death without trial or anything of that sort. I would never do that to Obito...I couldn't....but for the sake of the village I have to pretend I would.

"I have and...I accept." My violet eyes went wide and I jumped up, hitting my knee on the desk and yelping softly. 

"W-wait r-really!? Oh I am happy Obito!!" I ran up and hugged him tightly, my new Hokage robes flowed behind me. He sighed into my embrace and hugged me back before pulling away.

"I did this so I can protect you and Shinasui. Not for the village. I hope you understand that." I nodded before a few tears leaked out of my eyes.

"Mina...why are you crying? Are you okay?" I nodded again before wiping the stray tears.

"It's just...you're home now Obito. I've been waiting all this time and now you're home."

"Am I interrupting something?" Kakashi stood next to me with raised eyebrows towards Obito. Obito gave me a sly smirk before jumping on me, hugging me tightly.

"OH MINA I NEVER KNEW YOU FELT THAT WAY~ AWW."  

"Yep the old Obito is back." Kakashi mumbled as he walked away. Obito and I laughed loudly at Kakashi the grouch before separating and really looking at each other.

"Mina...I-" He started before scratching his head.

"If you're going to apologize to me again, forget it ya know."

"No...it's just...after all this time...how could you have forgiven me for everything I have done. You're offering me a place to call home, a job...a reason to exist...and I tried to take all of that from you. How could you still believe in me like that?" I smiled at Obito before poking him on the chest.

"Because you always have and forever will be my first love and my best friend. It might not be the way you want it to be but I love you Obito. I would never give up on you. I can't give up...that's my nindo, my ninja way." Obito gazed at me in silent awe before bowing and leaving. He paused at the doorway and whispered quietly.

"Thank you."

~~

"Gather around everyone. It's time to start our first monthly meeting ya know. Yumi, what files do you have for me?" Yumi made her way over to me with folders, her long violet hair fell down her back. Itachi glanced at her from my side and I watched as his eyes softened.