Chapter 26- Family (Edited 2/10/20)

KAKASHI'S POINT OF VIEW

I woke up with a pounding headache and a vile taste in my mouth. I groaned as I sat up slowly. My eyes adjusted to the bright light of the room while I held my head in my hands before hearing a disappointed sigh. I took away my sweaty hands to see Gai give me an annoyed glare while crossing his arms.

"Are you sober now?" He asked. I grumbled while looking around. I noticed that I was on his couch... Not in my home.

"Ugh... Yeah... Do you have any painkillers?" Gai sighed before grabbing medicine from a cabinet and tossing it to me. I said my thanks, grabbed two pills and swallowed them dry. Gai sat next to me on the couch before looking at me with an eyebrow raised.

"Care to explain to me why you knocked on my door at three in the morning, drunk and insisting to sleep on my couch?" I ran my fingers through my hair, looking Gai in the eyes.

"I did... I did some bad things yesterday." Gai looked surprised before looking angry.

"Did you cheat on Mina?!" I quickly stood up before shaking my head and hands.

"No no no! I could never! It's just... I went out during the day just to take a morning walk before Mina woke up. I saw all these kids... these... orphans and lonely kids walking the streets after sleeping outside. Kids whose parents I knew that died on missions...it made me think...Could I leave Mina and my child like that? Would I be a good father? Would I just leave my family alone like the rest of their fathers?" I took a deep breath, remembering when Mina was the one who comforted me when my father died. She was always there for me...and I left her alone. I looked up at Gai who lost his father too, he should know how I feel.

"I thought of my dad and how I used to hate him. Even now, I sometimes wonder why he did the things he did. I'm just...afraid...that my child will grow up to hate me too. What if something happened to Mina and I was left all alone, with a newborn? Or if we both would be gone? I didn't know what to do Gai. I sat around for a while, not ready to go home to Mina with those thoughts in my head. I tried to read but I couldn't get my mind off of it. I got hungry so I went to a tavern...I ordered a few drinks and well...it worked on getting my mind off of it but I ended up returning home late, missing a doctor's appointment for Mina. She was angry and I said some things I didn't mean. Rightfully, she kicked me out. I was careless...and now she's upset with me. I'm an asshole." I moped as I sat on the couch next to Gai who gave me a supportive look. He placed a hand on my shoulder before shaking his head.

"Kakashi...you and I both had a rough past with our fathers. Yours received an awful label, and mine never went past genin level, being made a comic of by his colleagues. In the end, your father wanted you to know he loved you and wanted you to believe in yourself and your comrades. Take your father's words to heart Kakashi. I think you'll be an excellent father. I know you've tried a bit with Naruto by being a legal guardian of his...but this will be different...this will be your own flesh and blood that you will love and care for. Don't give up on them already. Mina must believe in you...believe in yourself." I looked at Gai and pinched my nose.

"You're right...I just...I don't know if I'm prepared...for this whole 'dad' thing to this extent. Mina does all the heavy lifting with Naruto. I don't even know how to change a baby."

"Get over it. Mina wasn't ready to be a mom at fourteen and look how well she did. You have an angel by your side and you are choosing to freak out instead of dealing with it like a man." I looked at Gai with a surprised expression on my face. Never before has he said anything like that to me but maybe it was the bluntness I needed to get my head straight. Gai was right, Mina didn't have a choice when she took Naruto in. She was so young and yet little Naruto is doing so well. She got him a home and food on the table...she gave him security and happiness...she worked while doing it when she had her team...if Mina could do it, I could do it.