Part 2: Chapter 9

Firdausi hated taking her car to the restaurant. It made her look like a brat and also an attention seeker but she couldn't resist because Islam forced her to take her car with her. Working in Mystic Bistro made it possible for her to hang around and see smiley faces unlike Creativity Haven where stupid etiquette are followed.

Saying she liked the work is a sincere lie but with all the bonuses and remuneration, she was sure she would buy her dream house and move in with Habib. At Creativity Haven, Penelope always has to have her percentage in everything and it was seventy-thirty percent.

"Uhhh", she groaned angrily after bumping into him again. She hated to see it as a deja vu. It kept happening. She bet they'd exchange their wallets these time. "Can you at least walk well".

"Excuse me, I'm the boss here so watch your words", said Umar Faruk arrogantly then walked passed her.

She rolled her eyes and went to the kitchen. There were too many orders and Florence was busy washing the plates for her. "Take the orders", she mouthed to her while she thumbed up and rushed to take orders.

The table was far away and almost beside the door. "Good morning, what would you like?" Asked she while strictly looking at the notepad where they wrote orders.

"Hot chocolate with ice cubes", said the lady who reminded her of a bosom friend. Long old friend.

Firdausi raised her head, ready to utter, "You remind me of someone," only to realize it was herself she was thinking of. Afra and Mubarak sat there, looking adorable together. Mubarak, still clad in his tracksuit as if fresh from training, mentioned an upcoming match.

Surprised but composed, Firdausi took their orders and left the table. The feeling of shock lingered, evident in their expressions as well.

As they were leaving, Afra paused at the terrace to speak with Firdausi. "Fatima and I planned a get-together, and I want to invite you," she said warmly.

"Why invite me now when you've been excluding me before?" Firdausi retorted, a hint of hurt in her voice.

Afra smiled, "You may act tough, but deep down, very deep down, we still consider you a friend. We'll always be here for you, my dear friend," she added before walking away, leaving Firdausi pondering as she made her way back to the counter.

                             **

"Huhhh," Islam let out a heavy sigh as she sat on the trampoline, trying to catch her breath. Her phone buzzed incessantly with messages from Usman. Despite his early visit, he didn't apologize; instead, he blamed her for leaving without informing him. Frustrated, she swiftly asked him to leave and rushed off to her keep-fit class.

During the yoga session led by Hawwa, Islam found it challenging to focus. Hawwa's timeless beauty captivated everyone in the class.

"Maybe you should switch it off," Shahed whispered, offering a suggestion. Islam shot her a sharp look before complying, earning a playful wink in return.

Part of Islam wanted to keep her phone on, tempted to reread the messages or even respond, but another part of her resisted the urge.

Usman had become a source of stress ever since his last project in Tarkwa Bay. His busyness had taken a toll on their relationship. She had placed him on a pedestal, making him her priority, but she wasn't certain if she held the same place in his life.

After the class, Shahed handed Islam a bottle of water. "That's them for you; they either stress you out like a son or like a husband," she remarked, offering a perspective on relationships that resonated with Islam's current situation.