16.1 // ACKNOWLEDGE

All she could do in response was leave her mouth open. That was the last thing she would have ever expected to hear. The atmosphere felt suffocating to (Y/N) as she couldn't bring herself to respond as Alhaitham continued to stare back at her.

This has to be some kind of joke, right? He's drunk. Or sick! That's the only logical thing right now. The girl nodded to herself to break the frozen state she was in, her eyes still glued onto the grey-haired male in front of her.

Slowly she leaned over the bathtub, Alhaitham watching as her hand placed itself on his forehead. He flinched at her touch as that was the last thing he was expecting, though his eyes dropped upon hearing her response.

"Your forehead isn't hot at all. Are you getting sick?" It was a way to change the conversation, but Alhaitham had contradictory plans.

He swiftly grabbed her wrist, tearing her hand off his forehead as he detained her arm. (Y/N) tried flailing her arm in response to break free of his grip, but it was obvious he wasn't going to let go.

"There you go again, trying to change the subject." He sighed, lifting his head off of his knees as he lowered them down. She's trying to deny this right now, isn't she? Maybe this wasn't a good idea.

"Heh?! What do you mean, trying to change the subject? You said something ridiculous so I was just making sure you weren't sick. And you're not drunk either. Are you going crazy?" Alhaitham listened to the girl as she began to ramble on, his eyes veering over to the knobs on the bathtub once more.

He let go of her hand as he moved over to the other end of the bed. He extended his hand out to the knobs, snatching his hand back as (Y/N) tried to capture his hands before he could turn the cold water on. "What are you doing?! Are you crazy?"

Alhaitham rolled his head to the left, lazily looking at her. "You just said I must be going crazy about a minute ago, did you not?" Surely this takes the icing. Now she can't deny it anymore.

(Y/N) sighed, balling her hands into fists, squeezing them, and releasing them in sequences. Yes, (Y/N) was trying to trick herself and believe what he had just done was a mere coincidence. Though it was most certainly not, as she had already come to the understanding behind what he had said. She was just trying to block it all out and move on so she can go to sleep.

Besides, the fact that after she had revealed to someone through text messages where she was hiding, here he came along and forced his way inside. What a headache. Wait, is that his goal tonight?!

"Let's play twenty-one questions." He suggested, returning to his warm spot and returning his gaze to the girl in front of him.

"What's the catch?" She asked, raising her eyebrow as she laid one arm across the edge of the bathtub once more.

"There is no catch. It's the traditional game, asking questions back and forth. Nothing more to it." There was an underlying tone behind Alhaitham's response, (Y/N) eyeing him suspiciously. He clasped his hands together as he waited on her response.

"Fine," she agreed, propping her head on her palm.

Alhaitham smirked, his eyes glinting. "What's the worse thing that has happened to you this year?"

It felt like cold water had just poured over the girl, biting her tongue from saying anything smart. "Being stuck in here with you." That would be the second worst thing that has happened to (Y/N) this year. The first thing, which would probably always be on the top of her list, would be almost being framed by her psycho ex-roommate.

"Why's that?" He hummed afterward, leaning forward slightly.

"Hold on, this is supposed to be a back and forth kinda thing. You had your turn-"