024.4 // MINE

The loud gunshot rang throughout (Y/N)'s ears, her eyes scanning the vicinity. Her eyes lingered on the last message she sent Alhaitham, her heart ready to burst out. Part of her hoped he got dragged into the seeking team, wanting to see his reaction to the photo. She wanted to know if he would carry out his "you're going to regret that" message.

That's where the other part of her hoped he didn't join the team. If he was going to stay true to those words, she couldn't even pinpoint what he meant. His words made her anxious, eating away at the skin on her teeth of his true intentions. She wasn't a mind reader – hell, it takes all of her sanity to understand Mona's random spews about astrology.

She didn't understand at first why Mona dragged her into the game either. (Y/N) whole-heartedly thought her best friend was playing around until she came face to face with the bard Alhaitham warned her about. When he started going on about the punishments of the game and seeing who was on the other team, the gears started to click into place.

Maybe, just maybe, he didn't join the game.

But knowing the odds, he probably did.

Everything around her was painted pitch black. All she could see were the bulky figures of the trees and branches that decorated the forest. The dead tree leaves crunched under her feet with each step, occasionally stepping on small tree branches on the forest floor. The cold air already had the tip of her nose freezing, her fingers rubbing over it about every twenty seconds.

(Y/N) sighed and shoved the phone into her pocket, looking around the area she was in. She split off from Kaeya and Albedo, following the two deep into the woods. According to those two, only Venti knew the game grounds since he was the one that drew out the area. The seekers were at a major disadvantage due to this.

Which would explain why the bonfire became noisy right before she came over. It was probably Venti celebrating being a hider rather than a seeker. The random choice did make sense. If he became a seeker, that would have meant he would have found everyone with ease for knowing the game grounds.

She had thought about hiding up in a tree at first. Some trees around her had low enough branches to climb up on. But if someone spotted her from the ground, the game would end there for her. Well, (Y/N) could jump down from the ten-foot height or so, but at the cost of injuring herself – which wouldn't be worth it in the end.

Just like the majority of the hiders, she chose to wander around in the woods at first. From what she overheard Albedo telling Kaeya, some of the hiders planned on venturing back to the start of the game to trick the seekers. But if he joined the game, he would have already anticipated that. Hiding at the beginning would be the same as hiding in a tree. An open-book plan that even a five-year-old could figure out.

Her eyes landed on a group of thick bushes, moving her head from side to side to check for anyone near. After verifying that no one was around her, (Y/N) quickly tip-toed to the bushes. Extending her arms and pushing them outwards, she crouched down and ventured into the cold spot awaiting her.

Waddling in place until (Y/N) made her sitting spot comfortable, she sat down slowly while bringing her knees to her chest. She double-checked her phone, making sure the device was turned on silent mode. It would be unfortunate for technology to give away her spot. That would be a funny story for everyone to hear and one that would never be laid to rest.

Who would she want to find her? The only two people that would be alright in her books would be Mona and Layla. Layla would let (Y/N) escape on purpose unless her other persona awakened. Now, if it was the other Layla that stumbled across her, it would be a scarier sight than Mona coming across the girl.