Chapter 10: The Fall Festival

The music was blaring loudly as we rolled down the road towards Dil's school. "And they'll have a apple bobbing stand, and a concession stand, and a balloon pop, and a lot more carnival stuff!" Dil yelled excitedly. "Wow, that sounds like fun!" I said, trying to keep my concentration on the road. Phil was checking Twitter and Dil was playing with a rubber toy squid. "So," I said, trying to get Phil's attention. Unsuccessful. "So!" I said louder, this made him glance up. "Yes?" He asked. "Are we gonna eat there, or somewhere else?" Phil shrugged. "Doesn't matter to me." I nodded. We pulled up to the school after a long, silent, and awkward ride. "Okay troops," I said opening my door and gesturing towards the school. "Let's move out!" Dil hopped out the car and Phil followed. We all walked over to the school and saw that Dil was right, it was huge. Families were everywhere! We walked over to a balloon popping stand were Phil spent way to much money on tries. We also found an apple bobbing stand were I got completely drenched in cold water, yet got no apple! What a rip off. Dil was running everywhere, it was hard to keep up! But then, we saw it. A bottle stand. "Look Daddy!" Dil said. "A giant squid!" A large orange squid stuffed animal, probably bigger than me, was hanging on the wall. "I wish I could win it, but I'd just loose." He hung his head. This is when Phil chimed in."I got this." He said strutting up to the stand. "How much?" He asked the ticket vendor. "One pound." He replied. Phil got out his wallet and handed the guy some money. "Right. So, I'm not sure if you knew this Dan, but I was the bottle-knocky-over-game-thingy champ back when I was in school!" He nodded his head as if he was an Olympic medalist. I rolled my eyes and smiled. "Okay, let's see than." The ticket vendor handed Phil five blue plastic balls and Phil began to throw. He threw the first one. Miss. The second. Miss. The third. Miss. Fourth. Miss. Fifth. Miss. "Ha!" I exclaimed. Phil rolled his eyes and sighed. "One more time." Phil handed the vendor another pound and began again. An 25 minutes later, we were still there. "Papa?" Dil asked. "I'm hungry, can we eat." "Not now!" Phil snapped, his hair beginning to spike and his eyes twitching. "Papas in the zone!" Dil winced. I stood up from the table where Dil and I had sat. "Maybe we should go." I said, my voice trailing off and leading Phil away from the stand. "No!" Phil yelled, flailing his arms balls still in hand. "I need that squid! I NEED THAT SQUID!!!" And with that I lead Phil back to the car, and we left empty handed. Well, except for the plastic balls Phil managed to steal.