The Orthworm Titan

Arven sent me a text of the map of Paldea with a small red X to the right of Mesagoza (which would be my left). I followed the map as Koraidon led on and adjusted our path when needed. When we arrived at the canyon of mines, I started to look out for the silver-blonde boy amongst the rocks.

Koraidon made a noise, and I turned to where he was looking. There he was, outlined against the early morning sun. Arven saw me too and waved shyly. Koraidon paused beside him and allowed me to hop off. Arven gave Koraidon a sickly glare before his gaze softened, turning his attention to me.

"I'm glad you made it, Lugosi," he welcomed, his warm voice exciting something inside of my chest.

"I wouldn't miss it," I replied. "Have you found the titan?"

Arven opened his scarlet book and showed the written pages, standing beside me, sleeves brushing my shoulder. "Orthworm the Lurking Steel Titan. He should be hiding somewhere underground. We can't let it see us yet." I locked eyes with him, understanding the seriousness. "I found a spot. Follow me." He pointed angrily at Koraidon, "And hide that thing."

I returned Koraidon to his ball and followed Arven behind a crumbled heap of rectangular stones overlooking a clearing shattered with loose rocks. Arven gestured around as we crouched down to hide. "I saw it come out around here," he whispered. "It seems like it emerges here often."

I watched the empty clearing in silence for a moment before feeling cloth brush against me again. Arven was deadlocked on watching for the titan, eyelids helping him squint against the daylight. I didn't think he realized I was observing him. He was so determined to collect the rest of the herbs. Every muscle in his body were tensed, and his eyes were trembling in anger and focus. I couldn't help admiring how beautiful his eyes were in the light. They were so much brighter, and his hair... was shimmering. He was gorgeous. I wondered if he had always looked this way before he found hope for Mabosstiff.

My stomach began squirming again. I couldn't understand why I was feeling that way. Was I nervous for the fight? I didn't think so. I was well prepared with my type advantage and great team. I could hear my heart pounding again. What was I afraid of?

"There it is!" Arven hissed. "Come on! While its back is turned!" Arven grabbed my wrist and hurried me out of the hiding spot and rushed over to a closer position. The feelings intensified. We stood behind the massive orthworm for a while, his hand on my wrist, forgetting to let go. His hand was warm but his grip was so gentle. I could feel his excitement in his fingers. It was an odd connection: physical touch. Without words, I could tell he trusted me.

! trust€d ¥0u.

But it was probably just the heat of the moment. Maybe he did forget to let go. I did the work for him and pulled my arm out of his hold. He glanced over, feeling me put space between us. I refused to look at him. I didn't want to look attached. Maybe I was, but I didn't want anything of it.

"Are you ready?" I asked, my gaze still focused on the unaware titan.

"Ready."

I threw out my numel while Arven took out his toedscool, a duel grass-ground type. "Numel, Bulldoze!" I started. The titan spun around in its hole, but it was too late to react. Numel hit him with a super effective attack and the orthworm flinched, giving Arven time for his move.

"Toedscool, Mud Shot!" The lanky pokémon spat balls of mud at the titan. It didn't seem very strong, but it was a ground-type attack.

"Let's try out your Lava Plume!" Numel sparked and fire exploded all around him.

Arven jolted backwards. "Be careful with that!"

I cringed. "Sorry, new move she learned."

Arven's toedscool was always looking dizzy. "Let's get your health back up. Try Mega Drain!" The Pokémon inhaled energy from the titan and visibly rose back up to health. The orthworm began to panic and broke through the wall behind it, quaking the ground beneath us. "It's going to eat the Herba Mystica!"