Finding Umbreon

Time passed me by as I finished my classes for the day and finally had time for myself. Walking downstairs, heading down to the huge academy archway exit, I opened my phone to my notifications I had received during my time in class. Penny had replied back in several messages:

Eevees could be found in Cortondo

But if you need an umbreon, I heard there's one in the caves beneath Alfornada

You don't have to evolve an eevee if you catch that one

I texted her back a thank you and pulled up a map on the island. "Huh, it's not too far away." Outside the building, I released Koraidon and showed him the map. Alfornada was west of the school, though still within the South Province. It was closer to the school than the Asado Desert was which was better for me since I didn't have as much time as the weekend. I'd still have an early class to wake up to. "We're going over here, yeah?" I pointed to the entrance of the cave which was at the base of the hill Alfornada rested on. Koraidon nodded and brought himself lower to the ground to allow me easier access onto his back.

On my signal, Koraidon started pouncing away, me having to brace myself whenever he landed.  I was really getting used to the new form of riding, but it made me wonder what would be coming next. I predicted excitedly that one day we'd be able to fly. Though doubtful since Koraidon had no wings, I had no idea what Herba Mystica was capable of, and I slightly believed it was possible.

I thought about the umbreon. Its pure dark-typing would mean it was weak to fighting, bug, and fairy-type moves, but my other Pokémon would be able to handle it. It was immune and super effective to psychic Pokémon, so that was extremely beneficial. Umbreon were one of the many evolutions of eevee. They evolved at a certain friendship level at nighttime. That was if the eevee didn't know any fairy-type moves. Otherwise, it'd evolve into a sylveon. Wait a moment.... If the umbreon could only evolve from a high friendship level, how is there a wild one lurking around the caves? I wondered if that was the reason there was only one spotted around the island. Something crazy and rare must've happened to make eevee evolve.

We skidded to a halt at the mouth of the cave. Cold air wafted from the dark inside. I hoped it wouldn't take too long. I didn't want to catch a cold from the evening chill. "You ready?" I asked Koraidon, and he purred compliance. I pointed forward and we walked in.

I couldn't see a thing for a while as my eyes adjusted, but Koraidon was able to continue on, traversing what felt like a crooked path. Finally, I was able to see the outlines of the stony walls with the sunlight flooding its faces. The cave looked very jagged, some platforms set on a near-vertical cliff. There was toxtricity all around me, their yellow and blue mohawks shedding gentle light on the ground. Salandit were staring down at us from what looked like a clearing atop a wall at least twice as tall as me. I gesture towards it. "Do you think you could make that?" Koraidon squinted at the platform. I felt him adjusting his hind legs, and I held on tight around his body. He flew into the air and stretched as far as he could to barely grab onto the edge of the rock. I heard Koraidon growling as he struggled to push himself over the edge with his strong, back legs, but he was eventually able to pull both of us up.

The platform was vastly open with the ceiling arched high above us. The daylight was shielded by the edge, but it bounced off the ceiling and barely lit up the silhouette of the lone umbreon. It's back was towards me, considering that I couldn't see its red eyes. I saw the yellow ring around its tail much easier in the dim light. The umbreon was curled up in a ball. I could tell it wasn't asleep, however, since its breathing was too fast to be in a relaxed, unconscious state. I was shocked it wasn't able to hear us with how many salandit were staring at us, even those around the umbreon.