It's Time to Say Goodbye

There was a big, toothy bite in the spice where Koraidon had snapped off a piece for himself, but there was enough for three more sandwiches. Arven stroked the Pokémon's nose. "I'll still make something for you, big guy." There was plenty of washed up and dried timber for the ceremonial campfire. Arven tapped my shoulder as I worked. "Could I use that when you're done? I have a hot idea." I punched his arm at the dumb pun and he laughed. "This one's spicy. I couldn't help myself."

I ignited the fire, and Arven set up some foldable stand for a pan that he, of course, always carried around with him. I went away to gather more ignition outside in case he needed it while he began to grill the bread and meat. I could smell the peppery aroma outside and my mouth watered. Bringing back an armful of random flammables, I went to wash my hands and sat next to my culinary boyfriend, Koraidon in a trance beside me. There was white cheese and some sort of poultry meat, lettuce, tomatoes, and white sauce blended with shredded spicy Herba Mystica. Koraidon's share had a pepper substitute for the magical spice. He wrapped each of them individually before he handed them out. Koraidon, unsurprisingly, made a mess of himself, gulping it down.

Arven let Mabosstiff out and the injured Pokémon seemed to express a faint notion of excitement. Arven broke away a piece of a sandwich to hand to him. "Be careful. It's a little spicy this time." I watched the canine eat faster than the other four titans as I enjoyed my own meal. It was definitely a lot spicier than I imagined. "Here," Arven handed me a water bottle, chuckling, then knelt down to continue monitoring Mabosstiff. I took a sip every so often to get my mouth used to the bite. The vegetables helped a lot, and it was definitely one of Arven's best works.

"It's gonna make you all better, I promise." Mabosstiff had already finished half the sandwich, his appetite significantly better than when we started the journey. "Lugosi and I," he glanced at me lovingly. "We really did our best to get this for you." I saw Mabosstiff begin to wag his tail, and Arven began to look emotional. "We're gonna play with your favorite ball as much as you want.... Y'know? Just like we used to." I saw him choking up. I really hoped the spice would do as I promised him it would. It had to. What else could we do if it didn't work? Mabosstiff finished the meal and laid on the stone floor, unmoving. He didn't even try to get up like how he'd been doing. I felt myself falling. Were we too late?

"Please... get better.... That's all I want, really...." I felt my throat clench up, seeing that the herb didn't seem to do anything. Arven saw it, too. Koraidon sniffed the Pokémon and dissipated into a somber state. Arven bit his lip and went to touch the head of his partner. "Mabosstiff...." I heard droplets of tears hit the ground. We were too late. I felt myself tearing up. We had done so much. We had done everything. There was nothing in the world that would help us, and we had to accept that. Arven ran his fingers through Mabosstiff's long fur, muttering to him, "You did your best, bud." I bit my tongue, feeling a sob pass through. Arven heard it and stood up to face the wall, taking long, deep, shaky breaths to keep his emotions at bay. We didn't want to admit defeat. We didn't want this to be the end. It was all over, and no one was happy.

Mabosstiff's Pokéball slipped out of Arven's hand as he went to brush through his hair and stood up tall, trying desperately to keep himself together. Mabosstiff looked up at the noise then at his trainer who dropped something. He wanted to retrieve it. Mabosstiff woofed to get his master's attention, but Arven only gave him a quick glance before having to wipe his eyes. Seeing as his partner wasn't going to pick up his ball, Mabosstiff decided to take the task into his own hands. He pushed his chest up with his forepaws and successfully supported himself with his back legs, taking his first steps in what could've been a month. My jaw dropped, but I was in too much of a shock to say anything or think to make a noise. I was fixated on the miracle happening before my eyes. Mabosstiff hobbled over to the red ball and picked it up carefully with his mouth, wagging his tail as he staggered over to his friend, looking up at his turned head. He gave another deep woof.