Is It a Date?

I sat in the car in silence. I couldn't see past the seat in front of me, it was total darkness, but I knew I was in the car. I heard the road outside the invisible window roll by and felt the soft cushion beneath me. I noticed I wasn't wearing a seatbelt, so I reached back to put one on. I curled my fingers around the leather and felt it slip around in my hand. I looked up. Thick, red liquid was oozing from my fingertips and dripping down onto the belt and my wrist. I pulled my hand back and brought both of them in front of me. Blood was pouring from my palms onto my dirty, white shoes. The outline of the driver materialized herself but continued to stare into the emptiness in silence.

"Sorry, mom," I felt the need to apologize. "I got it all over the floor." The blood stained the carpet below, darkening as it got heavier. She didn't respond.

"The imagination is a wild thing, isn't it?" A figure beside me spoke. I couldn't make out who it was. "I can't see what you're seeing, but I could tell you it isn't real." It all felt real. The blood was warm around my fingers and sticky around my feet. "The car is real, the road is real," he observed. "The silence is real."

"Are you real?" I asked him.

St0p cr¥!ng! Cr¥!ng s0lv€s n0th!ng!

My mom shouted. I hugged my knees and pressed myself into the seat. I didn't realize my face was wet, soaking my shirt with tears. I looked at the boy. You're not real, so why are you here?

Everything went quiet as a freezing breeze slammed into my face. I opened my eyes to a dark field under a night sky. I was shivering. I was no longer in the car, the sound of the road was far off in the distance. A tiny beam of light waved erratically from a tall figure. "Is someone there?" She called out. Was she talking to me? I scooted backwards and felt my spine on a tree trunk. I looked around. I recognized the place, but I couldn't understand where I was. I knew we weren't in Paldea. The only time I was away from the island was for my dad's funeral which took place in his hometown. The woman shined her flashlight into my eyes and I squinted, still unable to see her clearly. "Are you lost?" She came closer. A small silhouette of a Pokémon came out from behind her and followed her at her side. I heard my heart racing. I didn't understand why I was afraid.

"I'm not going to hurt you." Arven put down his flashlight and held out his hand to me. Umbreon sat beside him, cocking her head as she observed me.

Relieved, I grabbed his hand and let him pull me up to my feet. "What are you doing here?"

Umbreon went through my bag on the ground and pulled out my ID for Arven to look over. "You're a long way from home," he replied, flipping the card over and rereading it several times.

I crossed my arms, frowning. "I don't... want to go home." I remembered my mom and the blood that spilled over from my own hands. "I shouldn't be around my mom. I might kill her, too."

Arven carefully grabbed my hands that were now completely clean of any trace of blood. "I don't think you would. You've never hurt a person in your life." I pulled away and clenched my fists. I couldn't tell him what I did. "But I could tell a lot of people have hurt you." I winced. I didn't let anyone hurt me. I never got attached enough to feel hurt. "Let's get you home." I felt an arm around my waist and I threw my arms outward in defense. I flinched at the involuntary instinct. I hadn't felt the need to physically protect myself in years. I didn't know why I had suddenly fallen back into that compulsion unless... I was dreaming a memory.

My rotom phone startled me awake. Someone was calling me. Before rubbing my eyes or checking the caller, I answered with a slurred "H-hello?"