I Have a Crush on Someone

We traveled back to Naranja Academy on Koraidon in thoughtful silence. Did I really freeze up? Why did I do that? Why couldn't I feel or hear anything around me? It was like waking up from a dream except I was awake while I was asleep. It was as if I had drifted off in a daydream and blocked out everything around me, and for a moment, instead of being alongside Arven by the fire, I was home....

I made careful and quick movements to avoid eye contact with anyone as I made my way to the dorms. I didn't want to talk about anything that had happened. Even remembering my quest only brought my attention back to my wandering thoughts. I blanked out, trying to escape the invasive mass of unanswered questions. I had a few days of classes before I could see him again. I had to focus on my studies. My conflicting feelings and confusion could wait out graduation.

Opening my door, my eyes welcomed the dimly lit room, rays of sunshine peeking through the blinds I had forgotten to open. I chose to leave them as I sat at my desk, opening my laptop, and letting my Pokémon free to roam the room and stretch after their fight.

Donphan I searched up.

Donphan, the armor Pokémon, is a pure ground-type Pokémon. It is weak to water, grass, and ice-type moves while taking half damage to poison and rock-type moves. It is immune to electric-type moves.

"I guess the next member to our team won't be an electric-type," I said aloud. "Quaxwell should be able to take care of it just fine, being a pure water type." Quaxwell puffed up in pride, throwing fake punches, preparing for his second titan battle. I turned around in my chair. "What do we have? Water-type, rock, fire-ground," I pointed as I counted. Koraidon cocked his head at me. "You don't fight, so I can't count you." Koraidon gave a sigh of disappointment. "Four out of eighteen types— normal isn't strong against anything— so four of seventeen," I calculated. "That means... we have... everything but..." I charged weaknesses and strengths of all the typings in my head. "Normal, water, psychic, ghost, dragon, and fairy-types. Wow, we have nothing on the strongest Pokémon." My team fidgeted uneasily. "Don't worry! We'll find someone to cover those types."

I opened up a note on my laptop in order to write down my scrambled thoughts.

Normal
Water
Psychic
Ghost
Dragon
Fairy

I listed the types none of my team was super effective against then listed the weaknesses beside them.

Normal weak to: Fighting
Water weak to: Grass, Electric
Psychic weak to: Bug, Ghost, Dark
Ghost weak to: Ghost, Dark
Dragon weak to: Ice, Dragon, Fairy
Fairy weak to: Poison, Steel

I looked for repetition of the weaknesses in order to narrow down what typing the next teammate should be. The only types that were written more than once were ghost-types and dark-types. Ghost-type Pokémon were definitely more rare than dark-type Pokémon, and even though ghost-types were immune to two types of attacks, dark-types were strong against three different types. In another comparison convincing me to choose a dark-type, I knew that ghost-type Pokémon were immune to the common Pokémon types normal and fighting, but dark-types were immune to rare and powerful psychic-type moves. That was very important to me.

I turned back to my team. "I have decided. Our next partner will be a dark-type!" Everyone celebrated except for Lycanroc. He was a little timid about having to look for a Pokémon who was strong against him. I stood up and walked over to him and scratched his fluffy chest to help relax him. "You'll be okay, buddy. I'll train all of you so strong, super effective moves won't leave a scratch on you." The others came in and hugged Lycanroc to comfort him. I sat on the ground, smiling as I watched the Pokémon cuddle and shower each other with affection.