•1•

"Thank you.",Sarah smiles as you hand her a stack of folded laundry.

You smile subtly back at her and push your nearly empty cart to the last stop on your route. The laundry job isn't glamorous but it could be a lot worse. You've come to know almost every person in the compound by name, and they certainly know yours. If not for you delivering their laundry every day, then definitely because of your long-time boyfriend, Dean.

He has made quite a name for himself here; being third in command to Negan. It only took him five out of the six months you all have been here to be promoted to such a high rank. You could be out there killing the dead right alongside them but you can't see yourself making a living doing so. Laundry is as dangerous as you want to get after being out there for so long. Even if the pay is shit.

Your soft footsteps echo in the long pale hued concrete hallway, most everyone is still at work. You make your way to the heavy steel door to the staircase. Peering in the small square window you see Dwight. His slender figure leaned up against the wall, halfway through his cigarette. You both have made these rendezvouses a part of your routine. He's the only person you feel you can trust.

The door screeches open as you enter the stairwell. His heavy blue eyes lock with yours and he gives you a small smile. His outstretched hand offers you the last half of the cigarette which you take and inhale deeply.

God I needed one of these

"You look a lot better today", he states.

You exhale and flick the gray ash from the end of the cigarette.

"I don't really feel better.", you say quietly.

Your eyes can't help but be drawn to his scar but you don't stare. If it wasn't for the rules Dean would've done something similar to your face. 

I wonder what he looked like before the scar.

"I overheard Simon and Dean talking about hanging out at y'all's place tonight.", he murmurs.

Wonderful... That's twice in one week, they're really making a habit of this.

A sinking feeling pings your chest. Simon seems to agg him on. Particularly when they're drinking. They treat your pain like a party game when they're wasted.

You look up from your shoes and find his eyes trained on you. He worries about you. You're grateful to have someone that does.

"You can come to my place tonight if it gets to be too much. you know that right?", he says sincerely.

You nod your head and move a strand of hair from your face before taking a long drag. Your eyes find your shoes again. He would never know how badly you wanted to take his offer but you knew it would only make things so much worse. Dean didn't know you and Dwight had formed a friendship. It's best for everyone to keep it that way.

"How are things going with that group?", you question, trying to change the subject to anything but the matter at hand.

"They're not taking it well.", he says with a sigh.

"Do they ever?", you give a small chuckle.

The butt of the cigarette slips from your fingers and your foot snuffs what was left of the embers.

He pushes himself from the wall and takes a few steps to the dirty window, his eyes trained on something unbeknownst to you.

"I know you don't want to hear it. I've said it before and I'll say it a thousand more times... You should go to Negan, he would do something about it.", he suggests, probably for the hundredth time since you confessed to him what was going on after makeup wasn't enough to cover the marks after a drunken night. Dwight knows more than anyone that Negan takes his rules very seriously.