•30•

"What did he say?"

Dwight doesn't wait for you to be within six feet of him to get the details of the encounter. You almost laugh when you go to tell him. How can someone cheat and then threaten to kill the next person you get with?

"Well, he said he would kill any man who touched me and it wasn't what it looked like."

He snorts and pulls the gate open.

"Sounds about right. Did you tell him you stayed with me?", he asks, holding the gate open for you.

You slide past and instantly feel relief being outside the compound. No one expects anything from you out here. No fake smiles, no acting like you're okay.

"I didn't but he already knew."

It feels wrong being out here without Negan. It feels even worse to bear the hole in your heart from him. You don't believe what he said about her just walking in, not for a second. You feel stupid for thinking a man who had six wives would settle for being monogamous with you.

You walk side by side with Dwight around the tall fence. It's warmer today than it has been. The sun beats down onto your skin and the soft gusts of wind blow your hair off of your shoulders. You definitely prefer this over the tower.

"What did he mean when he said it wasn't what it looked like?", Dwight asks, breaking the comfortable silence.

Coming out here was an attempt to keep Negan off your mind, not talk about him. Dwight should know you don't want to talk about this but he pries anyway.

"He said she walked in right before I did and was already naked.", you explain.

"What do you think?"

"I think he's lying."

Agitation begins to bite at you with Dwight asking so many questions and the memory of catching Negan cheating playing in your head. A snarl snaps both of your heads up. One of the rotting, walking corpses staggers in the field on a direct course for the both of you. You waste no time breaking away from Dwight.

"I got it.", you tell him, sliding your knife from its sheath.

As you approach the reanimated corpse, Sherry's face flashes before your eyes. You plunge the knife into its skull and pull it out with a wet squelch following the maneuver, but you don't stop there. Again and again, you drive the knife into its brittle skull. Dead clotted blood sprays with each blow.

"Hey, it's dead.", Dwight says from behind you.

You just keep stabbing, even though your running out of places to plunge the knife for its head is just turning to a brown, putrid mush. Dwight's hand falls on your shoulder to pull you away but you shove it off. The hurt and the rage eating at you have finally taken over. You stand up and grip the knife tighter before heading for the woods to find more dead. Your brain feels fuzzy and you hear the words Dwight's calling from behind you but they don't register.

-

Red.

It clouds your vision, your mind, and your hands. Not only flashes of Sherry and Negan but Wayne, Dean, and every single person who has ever caused you pain. In each rotting face, you come across, you imagine it's theirs instead. Through each jab with the knife, each pained scream, you release the pent-up rage that has been gnawing at your psyche. It's not until you're breathless, collapsed beside one of the corpses you mutilated, that your mind clears. Your limbs burn and make it damn near impossible to stand. Birds fly overhead, just under the thick canopy of greenery provided by the thick forest. Sweat beads and drips from your face.