•21•

Negan finally sits back down in the car and puts Lucille in the back. The smell of his signature smoky cologne and aftershave brushes your nose upon his entry. He offers no explanation for what was said. He simply turns the key over and takes off.

"What was that about?", you ask, watching him intently.

"Shootin' the shit.", he replies vaguely.

A heat begins to burn in your chest. You know you shouldn't poke the bear but you do anyway.

"Were you telling him about how you're planning on just dropping me off like some dog you don't want anymore?",  your anger gets the best of you.

"Is that what you think this is?", he shoots a look over at you.

"What else could it be? You haven't said two sentences to me all day. You didn't pack a bag so I know you're not staying. I know you and Dwight weren't talking about the fucking weather. I don't understand why you threw all these mixed signals and then just plan to leave me again."

He doesn't say anything. For the first time, you left him speechless. He didn't expect you to react the way you are. You didn't either.

"Let me out. Stop the fucking car. I'll walk.", you spit, grabbing the door handle.

"No you fucking won't.", he argues back.

"Stop the car, Negan."

He continues driving. You push the door open against the wind, making him slam on the brakes.

"Goddamnit what the fuck are you doing?"

The car comes to a sudden stop and you waste no time getting out. You begin walking alongside the highway. You expect him to keep driving but he doesn't.

"C'mon get back in the car.", he calls after you.

You turn around and see him standing outside his door, the window blowing his hair about.

"I'll walk, thanks.", you say, turning around and continuing on.

You hear him following behind you but you don't slow down. Anger courses through your veins.

"You don't have any weapons. You'll die out here.", he calls from behind you.

"Wouldn't that be convenient for you? You wouldn't have to waste all that gas taking me back or lead me on anymore."

"Stop. Let's just talk for a minute."

You come to a halt and find him looking at you with pleading eyes. Weighing your options, you walk up to him, wanting to hear his explanation. Not knowing where you are also slides the scale in his favor.

"Goddamnit you make this so difficult.", he breathes.

Your lips are pressed into a thin line as you wait for him to explain himself.

"Look, I'm not good at this shit. I was hoping that you and Dwight could hit it off earlier and you wouldn't be interested in me anymore.", his eyes scan yours waiting for your reaction.

Your brows furrow hearing this. It also stings knowing that he was trying to pawn you off.

"Was it something I did last night?", your brain immediately pins it to you coming onto him.

He shakes his head.

"No. Hell no. It's you but it's not you. Fuck, why can't you just get back in the car?"

This only deepens your confusion and stings a little more.

"Not until you tell me why you were going to leave me again. Or why you're trying to push me off on Dwight.", you hold your ground.