•32•

There are two things you begin to regret as you sober up.

One, agreeing to accompany Negan. And two, leaving the bottle on his desk. As the alcohol wears off you're finding it harder and harder to be around him. Especially in the close quarters of his Dodge Charger. Between stolen glances, you begin to wonder why you're even mad at him.

If he says he didn't cheat, he didn't. Negan has never lied to you, not one time. You could chalk it off as just being mad at the world and subsequently, the world includes Negan. The more you think about it, the more sense it makes. There isn't a doubt in your mind that Sherry would do something like that.
Then there's Dwight. You couldn't see him purposely plotting against you in order for him to slide into Negan's place in your shattered heart. You wouldn't have believed it, not for a second, had he not made a move on you last night.

"Where are we going?", you ask, becoming increasingly agitated as the car shows no signs of stopping or slowing down.

"We're almost there.", he tells you, veering the car off the graveyard of the highway and onto an exit ramp.

Rusted, overgrown signs tell of a nearby city. The dead stagger along the sides of the road, snarling and snapping their rotten teeth as the car zips by. You hadn't brought any weapons. Of course, Negan was accompanied by Lucile though. If it was something dangerous you would like to think he would've armed you for the occasion.

"What are we doing out here?", you ask, peeling your eyes from the blurred scenery of the window and placing them on Negan.

He feels the prickling of your gaze and looks over to you before a smirk grows across his face.

"What? You don't trust me?"

You shoot him your best glare only to receive a chuckle. Dropping the subject, you face forward and pick your brain for ideas on why the hell he has you out here.

"How long are you gonna act like you can't stand me?", he asks, furthering the conversation.

Your eyes flit to his, scorn burning at the twinges. His smug disposition lights a fire under your skin.

"Who said it was an act?"

A devilish smile stretches across his lips and his eyes flash a familiar glint before he sighs.

"You keep this up and I can't promise that I'll behave.", he warns.

Your mouth snaps shut and your mind begins spiraling on what misbehaving entails. Finally, the car rolls into the abandoned city. Long broken down cars, decayed bodies, and trash litter the streets and alleys between the rather large buildings. The sun hangs at about noon, providing no shadows for surprises to hide in. Your heart beats a bit faster and anxiousness begins to ravel in your stomach. The car rolls to a stop just outside an unmarked building, built of bricks and decorative concrete pillars.

"We're here.", he tells you, breaking the heavy silence between the two of you.

You exit the car only after he does. Your eyes scan the surroundings rapidly. It's unusual for metropolitan areas like this to be vacant of the dead. Negan rounds the car and takes a key from his pocket, unlocking the large, boarded door. You waste no time following him in, fear getting the best of you.
Tall, oak bookshelves remain placed systematically throughout the large space. The smell of dust and aged paper hang heavy in the air. Almost every piece of wood has been carved with mesmerizing patterns of woodwork from the banister to the legs of the tables. It's untouched, not a single stray book littering the floor, no rotting bodies. If one were to only see this library, they wouldn't know the world had fallen apart around it.